Backyard Apple Crumble
Recipe by: Arum Nixon - Contestant
- Turn on ice cream machine to pre-chill. Preheat oven to 190C.
- For the Apple Ice Cream, core and dice apples and place in a medium saucepan with sugar and 50ml water. Cover and cook over a medium heat until completely soft, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and press through a fine sieve to make a purée. Set aside to cool until needed.
- Place milk, cream and lemon zest into a small saucepan and bring to boiling point. Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, whisk egg yolks with an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment until pale. With motor running, slowly add hot milk mixture in to the egg yolks and continue to whisk until well combined. Return mixture to saucepan and stir over a low heat until mixture reaches 80C and thickens to coat the back of a spoon. Strain anglaise through a fine sieve into a medium bowl and cool over an ice bath.
- Once anglaise is cool, whisk cooled apple purée into the cooled anglaise then transfer the mixture to the ice cream churn and churn according to manufacturer’s instructions. Once churned, transfer ice cream to freezer to set until needed.
- For the Crumble, place butter and sugar into a food processor and pulse until well combined and smooth.
- Add flour and salt and pulse to a smooth dough. Press dough onto a baking tray lined with baking paper and bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and use fingers to break the biscuit into crumbs on to the tray. Return the tray to the oven until crumbs are golden brown, about a further 5 minutes. Remove from oven, crumble the biscuit crumbs into a coarse crumble and set aside to cool on the tray until needed.
- Reduce oven to 110C.
- For the Apple Chips, using a peeler, remove long strips of the apple peel from apples. Place strips of peel, skin side down, on a non-stick baking tray lined with baking paper and bake until golden brown and dry, about 20 minutes. Once dry, remove from oven and set aside to cool and crisp on the tray until needed.
- For the Smoked Apple Purée, core the peeled apples and roughly chop. Place into a medium saucepan over a low heat with the butter, sugar, lemon juice and rind and 75ml water. Cover and cook until completely soft, about 20 minutes. Remove lemon rind. Transfer apples to the canister of a stick blender and process until completely smooth. Press through a sieve into a medium bowl to make a purée, and cover bowl tightly with two layers of cling wrap.
- Place the wood chips into a smoking gun, place the nozzle under the cling wrap, light chips and fill bowl with smoke. Remove nozzle, reseal cling wrap tightly and allow to smoke for 15 minutes. Remove the cling wrap and stir well. Transfer the smoked purée to a piping bag and set aside until needed.
- For the Pickled Apples, place lemon juice into a small glass bowl. Thinly slice the apple, add to the bowl and stir well to coat with lemon juice. Allow to pickle for 15 minutes then remove apples from the lemon juice and pat dry with paper towel. Set aside until needed.
- For the Apple Syrup, place all the ingredients in a saucepan over a medium-high heat. Bring to the boil and simmer until reduced to a syrup, about 10 minutes. Adjust sugar to taste and transfer syrup into a small serving jug.
- To serve, scatter Crumble on each plate and pipe with dots of Smoked Apple Purée. Arrange the Pickled Apple slices around the plates and scatter with half of the Apple Chips.
- Top with a scoop of the ice cream and remaining Apple Chips.
- Serve with the Apple Syrup on the side.
Watch Full Episodes