Basil, Tomatoes, Pipi Juice with Basil Ice Cream
The contestants turn the tables and judge the Mystery Box dishes cooked by Gary, George and Shannon.
Air Date: 20 Jul 2017
Recipe by: George Calombaris
- Pre-heat oven to 180C. Turn on ice cream machine to pre-chill. Pre-heat an hibachi grill or barbeque.
- For the Basil Ice Cream, place a medium saucepan of water over high heat and bring to a simmer. Prepare an ice bath and set aside.
- Set aside ½ bunch of basil for later use, then add remaining 2 bunches of basil leaves to the boiling water and cook until vibrant green, about 30 seconds. Remove from the water and plunge into the ice bath. Drain through a fine sieve, pressing gently to squeeze out excess liquid and set aside until needed.
- Place the yolks and sugar into the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment and whisk until pale.
- Place the milk, cream and reserved ½ bunch of basil leaves into a small saucepan over medium heat and bring to a simmer. Remove from the heat and strain through a fine sieve.
- With motor running, slowly pour 1/3 of the hot milk and cream mixture into the egg mixture, whisking continuously until combined. Pour the combined milk and egg mixture back into the saucepan of remaining milk and cream and whisk well.
- Place the saucepan back over low heat, stirring continuously, until the mixture thickens slightly and coats the back of a spoon, about 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and strain through a fine sieve into a clean bowl. Set the bowl over an ice bath and whisk until the mixture is completely cool. Add the drained blanched basil leaves.
- Transfer the cool mixture to a Vitamix and blitz until pale green and smooth, about 1-2 minutes. Season with salt then transfer to the pre-chilled ice cream machine and churn until firm, according to manufacturer’s instructions. Once churned, transfer ice cream to the freezer to set.
- For the Pork, heat a medium sized, oven-proof fry pan over high heat. Add oil, then place the piece of pork, skin side down, into the fry pan and cook until crisp, about 8-10 minutes. Season well with salt and pepper to taste. Transfer the fry pan to the oven and cook until the pork is just cooked through, about 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and set aside to rest, loosely covered with foil, for 10 minutes. Then set aside, keeping warm, until ready to serve. Remove the crispy cap from the top of the pork and slice half of the crispy crackling into 5mm strips. Slice the remaining half into 2cm strips and set aside until ready to serve.
- For the Broth, heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the belacan and fry until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the pipis, basil and 500ml of water, cover with a lid and cook until the broth is rich in flavour, about 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and strain through a fine sieve lined with muslin cloth into a clean saucepan. Set the saucepan aside ,with the lined sieve on top, to allow residual pipi juices to come through, until needed.
- For the Marinated Tomatoes, prepare an ice bath and set aside.
- Place the hojicha tea and grape seed oil into a small saucepan over low heat, and cook until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside until needed.
- Place a large pot of water over high heat and bring to the boil. Add the tomatoes and cook for 1 minute then remove from the hot water and plunge into a bowl of iced water with the basil leaves.
- Peel the tomatoes and add to the saucepan of hojicha and oil and set aside until needed
- For the Grilled Basil, place the basil leaves onto the preheated hibachi grill or barbeque and grill until dried and charred, about 1 minute. Remove from grill and set aside until needed.
- For the Lavosh, line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Place the flour into a medium bowl. Add the water, oil and hojicha tea. Use hands to mix together to a dough and continue to knead for 2 minutes until smooth. Cut the dough in half and transfer to a lightly floured surface and flatten out each piece.
- Pass the dough through a pasta roller, from the thickest to the thinnest setting, to thin sheets. Slice the rolled out dough lengthways into 1.5cm wide strips, then roll the strips, lengthways, into tubes. Cut the tubes into 5cm lengths. Place the tubes of lavosh onto the tray and bake in the oven until golden and cooked through, about 8-10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven. Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Drizzle the lavosh tubes with a little melted butter then set aside until ready to serve.
- For the Charred Tomatoes, Basil and Grapes, place the tomatoes and grapes, cut side down, onto the hibachi and grill until charred, about 2-3 minutes. Remove from the grill and set aside on a plate. Place the basil stems onto the grill and grill until dry and crisp, about 1 minute, then remove from the heat and set aside until ready to serve.
- To finish, remove the sieve from the saucepan of strained Pipi Stock and discard solids. Place the saucepan of strained stock back over a medium heat and reduce by 1/3 . Add 1 tablespoon of the Marinated Tomatoes marinating oil and stir to combine. Set aside, keeping warm, until ready to serve
- To serve, place a few slices of Fresh Tomato onto the base of each serving bowl. Add some of the Charred Tomatoes and Grapes and 3 charred basil stems per plate. Slice Pork, then curl each slice into rolls. Place 3 pieces into each serving bowl, in between the Charred Tomatoes and Grapes and Fresh Tomatoes. Add a few strips of each size of pork crackling to each bowl. Add some lengths of Lavosh and leaves of fresh basil. Add some Marinated Charred Tomatoes and spoon some of the marinating oil over the top. Add a rocher of Basil Ice Cream to each bowl and serve with the Broth in a jug on the side.
Watch Full Episodes