Black Sesame Seed Ice Cream, Mandarin and Ginger
Recipe by: Karlie Verkerk - Contestant
- Turn on ice cream machine to pre-chill. Pre-heat oven to 170C.
- For the Black Sesame Ice Cream, place milk, cream and sesame paste into a medium saucepan, whisk to combine and bring to a simmer, then remove from heat.
- Place egg yolks and sugar into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a whisk attachment and whisk until pale and fluffy. With motor running, slowly pour the hot milk mixture into the egg mixture, and whisk until combined. Return mixture to the saucepan and cook over low heat, stirring continuously, until the mixture thickens and coats the back of a spoon. Remove from heat, strain through a fine sieve into a medium bowl and place over a bowl of iced water to cool. When cold, transfer the mixture to the ice cream machine and churn according to manufacturer’s instructions. Once churned, place ice cream into freezer to set.
- For the Ginger Cake, place eggs and sugar in a large mixing bowl and whisk until sugar is dissolved. Add flour and fold together using a spatula. Add remaining ingredients and carefully fold to combine. Pour cake mixture into a 15cm x 21cm shallow baking tray lined with baking paper and bake in the pre-heated oven until golden and cooked through, about 15 minutes. Once baked, remove from oven and set aside to cool.
- When cool, tear Ginger cake into small pieces and set aside on a tray until ready to serve.
- Reduce oven temperature to 75C.
- Spread mandarin zest over a flat baking tray lined with baking paper and place into the pre-heated oven to dehydrate, about 30 minutes.
- Once dry, remove from oven and set aside to cool. Once cool, transfer the zest to a spice grinder and blitz to a fine powder. Set aside until ready to serve.
- For the Mandarin Syrup, place all ingredients in a saucepan over low -medium heat and simmer until syrupy and reduced by one quarter, about 12-15 minutes. Strain through a fine sieve and transfer to a jug until ready to serve.
- To serve, place 3-4 tablespoons of Mandarin Syrup into the base of each shallow bowl. Top with 4 pieces torn Ginger Cake and a scoop of Black Sesame Ice Cream. Sprinkle over Dehydrated Mandarin Zest, micro coriander, flower petals and some black sesame seeds.
Watch Full Episodes