Blackberry Sorbet with Salted Almond Tuile and Nougat
Recipe by: Matt Sinclair - Contestant
- Preheat oven to 160C. Turn on ice cream machine to chill.
- For the Blackberry Sorbet, place gelatine into a bowl of iced water and set aside to bloom.
- Combine frozen blackberries, sugar, liquid glucose and 1 cup of water in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir frequently until sugar and glucose has dissolved then transfer to a blender and process until smooth. Transfer to a bowl. Squeeze out gelatine to remove excess water and add to the bowl along with the lemon juice. Whisk until dissolved then pass through a fine sieve and cool over an ice bath. Once cool, transfer to ice cream machine and churn according to manufacturers instructions until set. Once set, transfer sorbet to the freezer.
- For the Port Jelly, place gelatine into a bowl of iced water and set aside to bloom.
- Heat port in a small saucepan over medium heat and bring to a simmer then remove from heat. Squeeze out gelatine to remove excess water and whisk into the port until completely dissolved. Strain through a fine sieve then pour into 3cm dome moulds. Place into the freezer until set.
- For the Salted Caramel Tuile, place sugar, glucose and ¼ cup of water into a small saucepan over medium heat. Cook until golden in colour then remove from heat and whisk in butter. Stir in almonds and pour onto a baking tray lined with baking paper and set aside to cool and set.
- Once set, break up into shards and process in a food processor to a fine crumb. Season with salt then sprinkle in a thin layer onto a baking tray lined with baking paper. Bake in the oven until golden, about 3-4 minutes then remove from oven and cover with a sheet of baking paper and flatten by rolling over with a rolling pin. Set aside to cool.
- For the Dark Chocolate Shards, place a medium saucepan of water over medium heat and bring to a simmer. Place 200g of the chocolate into a medium sized bowl and sit over the saucepan of simmering water until chocolate reaches 50C. Remove from the heat and stir in remaining chocolate, stirring until chocolate reaches 28C. Sit bowl back over the simmering water and stir until chocolate reaches 32C. Remove from the heat and spread chocolate onto an acetate sheet to 2mm thick. Set aside to set.
- For the Nougat, place a medium saucepan of water over medium heat and bring to a simmer. Place all ingredients into a bowl and sit over the saucepan of simmering water, whisking until mixture begins to thicken. Transfer mixture to a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment and whisk until mixture is thick and glossy. Allow mixture to cool then transfer to a piping bag and set aside.
- To serve, place a dome of the Port Jelly into the base of shallow serving bowls. Pipe some mounds of the Nougat around the Port Jelly and add some fresh raspberries and blueberries. Add a rocher of the Blackberry Sorbet and place some shards of Salted Almond Tuile around the sorbet. Add some Dark Chocolate Shards and finish with some thyme leaves and pineapple sage flowers.
Watch Full Episodes