Braised Chicken with Onion Sauce, Chipotle and Tomato
Recipe by: Karlie Verkerk - Contestant
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- For the Braised Chicken Leg, place all ingredients along with 500ml water into a pressure cooker and cook, under pressure, for 25 minutes on high. Once cooked, release pressure and allow chicken to stand in the stock, in the pot, until needed.
- For the Roasted Chicken Breast, place peppercorns, chilli, cinnamon and salt in a spice grinder and grind to a fine powder.
- Rub spice powder over chicken crown to coat well. Place skin side up, in a medium roasting tray lined with baking paper and roast in the pre-heated oven for 30 minutes.
- Once roasted, remove chicken crown from oven and allow to rest, covered, in the tray for 10 minutes. Once rested, remove the chicken breasts from the crown, then cut each breast in half lengthways. Set aside, covered to keep warm, until needed.
- For the Onion Purée, place all ingredients in a large frying pan and cook over low heat until onions are soft and translucent.
- Transfer the onion mixture to a food processor and blitz to form a smooth purée. Add more olive oil and salt to taste, as required. Set aside until needed.
- For the Charred Shallots, melt ghee or butter in a small frying pan over low-medium heat. Add shallots, cut side down and cook for 10 minutes until caramelised and tender. Add vinegar and cook for a further 1-2 minutes. Remove from pan, separate shallot layers from one another and set aside, keeping warm, until needed.
- For the Tomato and Chipotle Sauce, place 2 tomatoes and all chillies into a food processor and blitz to a rough purée.
- Measure out ½ cup of braising liquid from the stock pot and pass through a fine sieve. With motor running, slowly add olive oil, braising liquid and vinegar and continue to blitz to a smooth purée.
- Transfer the purée to a medium mixing bowl and set aside. Chop remaining tomato into a medium dice then stir through the tomato purée. Adjust vinegar and salt as needed. Pour into a jug and set aside until needed for serving.
- To serve, place 3 tablespoons of Onion Puree in the base of each serving bowl. Remove the chicken marylands from the stock and drain slightly. Top the purée with one Braised Chicken Maryland per plate, and a portion of warm Roasted Chicken Breast. Scatter dish with Charred Shallots and serve with Tom
Watch Full Episodes