Braised Maryland Chicken in an Orange, Sage and Cinnamon Sauce with Parsnip Puree and Red Onion Pickle
This Braised Maryland Chicken is full of flavour and complimented with Orange, Sage and Cinnamon Sauce and Parsnip it is sure to be a crowd-pleaser.
Recipe by: Denise Valdez - Contestant
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- For the Parsnip Crisps, peel and discard skin from parsnip. Continue peeling long ribbons from parsnip, rotating the parsnip, until the core is reached. Discard core.
- Place parsnip ribbons flat on a lined tray and place in the oven to cook until light golden brown, about 18-20 minutes. Remove from oven, sprinkle with salt and set aside.
- For the Braised Chicken, place chicken into a resealable plastic bag and set aside.
- Place red onion, sage, orange juice, orange zest, mixed pepper, white vinegar, and salt into a blender and process until smooth.
- Transfer to the plastic bag with the chicken. Remove air from bag and seal. Gently shake bag to coat chicken and set aside to marinate for 5 minutes.
- Place a large frypan over medium heat. Add butter and olive oil and heat until butter begins to bubble. Remove chicken from bag, reserving marinade, and place chicken into frypan, skin side down. Cook until deep golden, turning often to ensure chicken is evenly browned, about 5-6 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside on a plate.
- Drain excess oil from the pan and return it to medium high heat. Add reserved marinade and cinnamon stick and cook until slightly reduced, about 5-7 minutes.
- Return chicken pieces to the frypan, spoon sauce over, to coat, and cover pan with a lid. Reduce heat and allow to simmer until chicken is tender and cooked through, about 25-30 minutes. Add 1-2 tablespoons of water to the pan while cooking, if required. Remove chicken from pan and set aside, keeping warm.
- Season sauce with salt and pepper, to taste. Remove from heat and reserve for serving.
- For the Red Onion and Orange Pickle, combine all ingredients in a small bowl, mix well and set aside to pickle. Drain before serving.
- For the Parsnip Puree, place butter into a small saucepan and place over low heat. Add parsnip and gently fry for 5 minutes. Add 1 cup milk and ¼ cup water and cook gently, covered, for 20 - 25 minutes until tender.
- Transfer to a high-speed blender and add cream and remaining milk. Blend until a smooth puree. Pass puree through a fine sieve, season to taste and set aside.
- For the Crispy Sage, heat oil in a small frypan over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add sage leaves and fry for 30 seconds on each side. Remove from frying pan and drain on paper towel. Sprinkle with salt and set aside.
- To serve, place approximately three tablespoons of Parsnip Puree into the centre of each serving plate and smooth out evenly with the back of the spoon.
- Place braised chicken in the centre of the puree and top with some Red Onion and Orange Pickle. Add Parsnip Crisps, drizzle with sauce and garnish with orange zest and Crispy Sage leaves.
Watch Full Episodes