Brodo with Home Cooked Spaghetti and Chicken Meatballs
A traditional Italian dish, this Brodo with Tagliarini and Polpette Di Pollo is simply delicious
Recipe by: Gina Ottaway - Contestant
- For the Spaghetti, place flour and eggs in a processor and process until mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Empty onto bench and knead until a soft, smooth dough forms, about 5 minutes. Wrap dough in cling film and set aside in the fridge to rest for 15 minutes.
- Once rested, pass the dough through the widest setting of a pasta machine 5 times, folding the dough over itself after each pass. Pass through the widest setting, again, then reduce setting one at a time, passing pasta sheet through, until the narrowest setting has been reached. Dust sheets with a little flour. Pass sheets through the spaghetti attachment and set spaghetti aside.
- For the Brodo, place olive oil in a large saucepan and set over high heat. Add chicken drumsticks and wings, parsnip, onion, sage, and celery and season well with salt and pepper. Cook until chicken and vegetables are lightly browned, stirring frequently, about 6-7 minutes.
- Remove 4 of the onion petals, 4 sage leaves, and a 5cm piece of the celery stalk from the saucepan and set aside.
- Add 8 cups hot water to the chicken and vegetables and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and allow to simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Pour through a sieve into a medium saucepan and return to heat to continue simmering.
- Meanwhile, for the Chicken Meatballs, heat a small frypan over high heat. Add reserved onion, celery, and sage leaves and cook for 1-2 minutes until charred. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Transfer vegetables into the bowl of a food processor, add remaining ingredients and process until mixture is smooth and sticky.
- Using a melon baller dipped in water, form chicken mixture into small meatballs.
- Place meatballs into simmering brodo. Simmer until cooked through, about 3-4 minutes. Transfer meatballs to a plate and set aside, keeping warm.
- To cook spaghetti, add half of the spaghetti to the simmering brodo and cook until al dente, about for 2-3 minutes. Remove from brodo and place into 2 of the serving bowls. Repeat with remaining spaghetti.
- To serve, arrange meatballs over the spaghetti and pour hot brodo over. Garnish with sage leaves.
Watch Full Episodes