Cab Sav and Raspberry Sorbet with Chocolate Soil
This incredibly creative dessert consists of Cabernet Sauvignon and Raspberry Sorbet with Chocolate Soil and is sure to satisfy your sweet tooth.
Recipe by: Blue Team
- Turn on ice cream machine to chill. Preheat oven on fan-grill setting to 220C.
- For the Smoked Chocolate Mousse, place 100g of the whipping cream into the bowl of stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment and whisk to firm peaks. Set aside in the fridge.
- Meanwhile, place the milk and remaining 50g of cream into a small saucepan over low heat. Bring to a simmer, then remove from the heat.
- Whisk the sugar and yolk together in a medium sized stainless steel bowl until pale. Pour in the warm milk and cream mixture, whisking continuously, until combined. Return the mixture to the saucepan and stir over low heat until the mixture thickens and reaches 82C. Remove from the heat.
- Add in the chocolate, stirring until chocolate melts and mixture is combined. Allow the mixture to cool slightly, then fold in the whipped cream until combined. Transfer mixture to a 15cm square pan and cover tightly with cling film.
- To smoke the square pan of chocolate mousse, insert the smoking gun tube underneath the cling film, making sure that the cling film remains tightly in place. Fill the smoking gun with smoking chips according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Light the smoking chips and allow the covered tray of mousse to fill with smoke.
- Carefully remove the smoking gun tube, cover tightly with cling film, and set aside in the refrigerator for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, remove the cling film to release the smoke. Re-cover with cling film and set the tray of mousse aside in the fridge until set.
- Once set, transfer to a piping bag and set aside in the fridge.
- For the Beetroot and Raspberry Sorbet, place gelatine in a bowl of iced water and set aside to soften.
- Place raspberries into a small food processor and blend until smooth. Strain through a fine sieve, discarding the seeds.
- Pass beetroots through a juicer, reserve 2 teaspoons of the juice for the Barossa Soil, and combine remaining juice with the strained raspberry purée.
- Place the Cabernet Sauvignon and caster sugar into a small frypan over a medium heat. Cook for 1 minute until slightly reduced.
- Add the raspberry and beetroot liquid to the pan of wine reduction, stir and and heat through, then remove from the heat. Squeeze out gelatine to remove excess water. Add the gelatine and glucose to the pan and stir until dissolved.
- Transfer to the ice cream machine and churn according to manufacturer’s instructions until set. Transfer to the freezer until needed.
- For the Red Barossa Soil, place butter, sugar and egg yolk into a medium bowl and use a silicone spatula to mix together until pale. Add flour and cocoa powder and mix together until combined. Incorporate the beetroot juice, working the mixture in your hands to form a fine crumb.
- Spread the mixture over a baking tray lined with baking paper. Bake in the oven until golden, about 15 minutes, stirring halfway through. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
- To serve, pipe the Smoked Chocolate Mousse onto each plate and sprinkle lightly with salt flakes. Cover with a tablespoon of Red Barossa Soil. Sprinkle with fresh grapes and currants and finish with a quenelle of Beetroot and Raspberry Sorbet.
Watch Full Episodes