Caesar Salad with Soft Boiled Egg, Chorizo and Grilled Lettuce
Recipe by: Karlie Verkerk - Contestant
- For the Caesar Salad Dressing, place the egg yolk and sherry vinegar into the canister of a stick blender. Blend until foamy then add the anchovies and chives and continue to blend until combined. Slowly add the grapeseed oil and blend until emulsified and thickened. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a bowl with the buttermilk and stir until fully combined. Season to taste and set aside in the fridge.
- For the Chorizo Crumb, heat a frying pan over medium heat. Add the chorizo and cook until browned and crispy. Remove from the heat and place onto paper towel to drain the excess oil. Transfer chorizo pieces to a food processor and blitz to a fine crumb. Set aside until needed.
- For the Fried Capers, heat the oil in small saucepan over medium heat to 180C.
- Dry the capers well using paper towel then carefully add to the oil. Cook until dry and crisp, about 2-3 minutes. Remove from the oil and drain on paper towel. Set aside.
- For the Sourdough Croutons, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to a large frypan and place over a medium heat. When hot, add the sourdough and cook, turning, until golden brown on all sides, about 4-6 minutes. Remove from the pan and set aside on a plate.
- For the Grilled Cos Hearts, heat a large griddle pan over high heat. Remove any tough outer leaves from the cos. Cut each lettuce in half, lengthways, and brush generously with olive oil. Place the lettuce halves into the pan, cut side down, and cook until charred and golden, about 3-4 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
- For the Soft Boiled Eggs, prepare an ice bath in a medium sized bowl and set aside.
- Place a medium saucepan of water over high heat and bring to the boil. Add eggs and cook for 5 ½ minutes. Remove eggs from the water and place into the prepared ice bath for at least 3 minutes. Remove from the ice bath, peel and set aside.
- To serve, place 2 Grilled Cos Hearts into each shallow serving bowl. Place a Soft Boiled Egg on top of the lettuce. Top with Chorizo Crumb, Fried Capers and Sourdough Croutons. Drizzle with the Caesar Salad Dressing and serve with the remaining dressing o
Watch Full Episodes