Caramelised Banana Sundae
Larissa pairs her Brown Sugar Ice Cream with a sweet and salty Miso Caramel, topped off with a Banana Brulee
Recipe by: Larissa Takchi - Contestant
- Prechill an ice cream machine. Prepare an ice bath in a medium bowl.
- For the Brown Sugar Ice Cream, place the milk, cream and brown sugar into a medium saucepan and place over a medium heat. Cook until sugar has dissolved and remove from the heat.
- Meanwhile, place egg yolks into a bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a whisk attachment. Whisk until light and fluffy. With the motor running, slowly pour the hot milk mixture into the egg mixture and whisk until combined.
- Return the mixture to the saucepan and cook over on low heat, stirring continuously with a spatula until the mixture reaches 84C and thickens. Remove from the heat. Pour through a fine sieve into a bowl and place over the ice bath to cool.
- Once the mixture is cold, pour into the ice cream machine and churn according to manufacturer’s instructions. Place ice cream into the freezer until required.
- For the Miso Caramel, place the sugar and 1/2 cup water into a medium saucepan and stir to dissolve sugar. Brush down the sides of the pan with a wet pastry brush. Cook the syrup over medium heat until dark amber in colour. Remove from the heat.
- Meanwhile, place the cream and miso in a small saucepan over medium heat. Whisk until miso is incorporated and allow to heat until miso dissolves, about 2 minutes.
- Slowly add the miso cream to the caramel and whisk to combine. Whisk in butter then transfer to a serving jug. Keep warm.
- For the Banana Brûlee, place the banana halves onto a baking tray. Sprinkle evenly with the caster sugar and using a blowtorch, caramelise the sugar until golden brown.
- To serve, place the pecan nuts into the base of each serving bowl. Top with the Banana Brûlée, a scoop of Brown Sugar Ice Cream and serve with the jug of Miso Caramel on the side.
Watch Full Episodes