Caramelised Kaiserfleisch with Pickled Grape Sorbet
Recipe by: Callan Smith - Contestant
- Turn on ice cream machine to chill according to manufacturers instructions.
- For the Pickled Grape Sorbet, combine sugar and ¼ cup water in a small saucepan and bring to the boil, stirring until sugar has dissolved. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
- Combine vinegar, 2/3 of the grapes and a pinch of salt in a small saucepan and bring to the boil over medium heat. Remove from the heat and set aside until the vinegar cools and begins to colour, about 5-6 minutes. Transfer to a blender along with the remaining 1/3 of fresh grapes and process until smooth. Pass through a fine sieve into a clean bowl. Add the cooled sugar syrup to the purée and stir until combined. Pour mixture into the pre-chilled ice cream machine and churn until set. Transfer sorbet to the freezer until needed.
- For the Pickled Cucumber, heat vinegar, sugar and a pinch of salt in a small saucepan over medium heat until sugar and salt have dissolved. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly. Add cucumber and set aside in the fridge.
- For the Softened Goats Cheese, place goats cheese into a small saucepan over low heat and allow to melt. Add lemon myrtle and 20ml water and stir until smooth. Remove from the heat and set aside, keeping warm.
- For the Caramelised Kaiserfleisch, place sugar and 20ml water into a small pan over medium heat. Cook until lightly golden then add kaiserfleisch and 20ml water. Simmer until liquid has reduced slightly. Add macadamia nuts and lemon myrtle and mix to combine. Remove from heat and set aside.
- To serve, spread Softened Goats Cheese across the base of the serving plate. Arrange Caramelised Kaiserfleisch over and around goats cheese. Drain the Pickled Cucumber to remove excess liquid and spoon some pickled cucumber pieces over the top of the goats cheese. Place a quenelle of Pickled Grape Sorbet on the side of the plate and serve immediately.
Watch Full Episodes