Carrot Cake with Candied Walnuts and a Walnut Crumb
Recipe by: Matt Sinclair - Contestant
Serves: 1 x 20cm cake
- Preheat oven to 170C. Grease and line two 20cm round cake tins.
- For the Carrot Cake, combine eggs, vegetable oil, vanilla, brown sugar, grated carrot and molasses in a bowl and whisk to combine.
- Sift remaining ingredients into a large bowl and stir to combine. Add the wet ingredients and mix well to combine. Divide the cake batter between the two cake tins and smooth the surface with a spatula. Bake for 18-20 minutes in the pre-heated oven until cakes are light golden and a skewer comes out clean when inserted into centre. Once cooked, remove cakes from oven and cool in tins for 10 minutes. Once cooled, invert onto wire racks and set aside to cool completely.
- For the Marmalade, place orange juice and zest, carrot and sugar into a medium saucepan and cook over a medium heat until carrot has softened.
- Add the remaining ingredients and cook over a medium heat until the mixture has thickened. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- For the Cream Cheese Icing, beat cream cheese in a stand mixer until smooth. Sift in icing sugar and add lemon juice and beat until smooth and fluffy. Set aside until needed.
- For the Walnut Crumble, Increase oven to 180C. Place all ingredients in a food processor and blitz to a coarse crumb. Transfer mixture to a baking tray lined with baking paper and bake for 10-12 minutes until golden brown. Remove from oven and set aside to cool until needed.
- For the Candied Walnuts, spread walnuts onto a baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Place sugar and water in a small frypan and simmer until sugar is dissolved and a dark golden caramel. Pour over walnuts and set aside to cool and harden.
- Once the walnut toffee is hard, break into small shards.
- To assemble the cake, trim and level one cake and place onto serving plate. Spread with cold Marmalade and half of the Cream Cheese Icing. Trim and level the remaining cake and place on top. Spread or pipe on remaining icing. Top with Walnut Crumble and shards of Candied Walnuts.
Watch Full Episodes