Cep Ice Cream with Sunrise Limes and Potato Chips
Recipe by: Arum Nixon - Contestant
- Turn on an ice cream machine to pre-chill.
- For the Cep Ice Cream, place the milk and cream into a saucepan and bring to a simmer. Remove from the heat, mix in cep powder and set aside until needed.
- Place the eggs, sugar and salt together in the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment and whisk until pale and creamy. With motor running, add a small amount of the hot milk mixture and continue to whisk until combined. Add the rest of the milk mixture and whisk well to combine. Transfer the combined mixture back into the saucepan and return to the stovetop.
- Cook over a medium heat, stirring continuously, until the mixture thickens and can coat the back of a spoon. Once thickened, remove from the heat immediately and strain through a fine sieve into a medium bowl. Set the bowl over an ice bath and set aside to cool completely.
- Once completely cool, transfer the mixture to an ice cream churner and churn according to the manufacturers instructions. Once churned, place in the freezer to set.
- For the Poached Sunrise Limes and Syrup, place the sugar, along with 75ml of water, into a small saucepan and set over medium heat. Bring to the boil, stirring occasionally until sgar dissolves, then add the limes. Cover the surface of the liquid with a cartouche and leave to simmer for 20 minutes. Remove the limes from the syrup and set aside until ready to serve. Continue to simmer the liquid, uncovered, until reduced to a thin golden syrup. Add the salt and vinegar to the syrup, and adjust the seasoning to taste. Transfer the syrup to a small serving jug and set aside until ready to serve.
- For the Pickled Sunrise Limes, place Sunrise limes into a small bowl and add vinegar. Toss to combine and set aside to pickle, about 20 minutes. Once pickled, remove the limes from the liquid and drain well. Set aside until ready to serve.
- For the Potato Chips, thinly slice potatoes on a mandolin to 1mm thick. Using a 2cm metal round cutter, cut each slice into even rounds. Place the rounds on paper towel, place another sheet of paper towel on top and press gently to remove as much of the moisture as possible.
- Place oil in a saucepan to about half full and heat to 180C. When hot, add the potato rounds, ensuring they don’t stick together. Fry until golden, about 2 – 3 minutes. Remove the chips from the hot oil using a slotted spoon or small spider and place on paper towel to drain. Season with plenty of salt whilst still hot. Set aside until ready to serve.
- For the Cep Salt, combine ingredients in a small bowl and mix well to combine. Set aside until ready to serve.
- To serve, place Pickled and Poached limes on the base of each serving bowl, cut side down. Place a quenelle of the Cep Ice Cream in the middle of the limes and add a sprinkle of Cep Salt on top. Arrange the Potato Chips around and finish with a little more of the Cep Salt sprinkled on top.
Watch Full Episodes