Sashi's Chicken Lemak with Jasmine Rice Wrapped in Betel Leaf
Recipe by: Sashi Cheliah - Contestant
- For the Chicken Lemak, cut each Maryland into 2 portions and rub with ground turmeric and salt and set aside to marinate.
- Place shallots, chillies, ginger, garlic, fresh turmeric, lemongrass, dried shrimp, 150ml vegetable oil and 2 tablespoons water in the bowl of a food processor. Process to a smooth paste. Set aside until needed.
- Place coconut oil in a large saucepan and set over low heat. Add mustard seeds and curry leaves and fry until mustard seeds start to pop. Add dried chillies and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add the paste to the frypan and cook for 15 minutes until softened and lightly golden. Add coconut milk and bring to a simmer for 10 minutes. Add tomatoes, cabbage and tamarind and return to a simmer for a further 10 minutes. Add lime juice and season with salt. Keep at a gentle simmer.
- Place a large frypan over medium heat and add remaining 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil. Place chicken in the pan, skin side down, and cook until light golden. Remove from heat and transfer chicken to the simmering lemak and simmer gently until chicken is cooked through, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside, keeping warm, until serving.
- For the Jasmine Rice, place all ingredients and 1 cup water in a medium saucepan. Set over high heat and bring to boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and cook the rice until tender and all liquid has been absorbed, about 10-12 minutes. Remove from heat and rest for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork and set aside, keeping warm, until serving.
- For the Tofu, fill a medium saucepan with oil and heat to 200C over high heat. Working in batches, if necessary, place tofu slices in the hot oil and deep fry until golden brown, about 3-4 minutes. Remove from oil, drain on paper towel and set aside until serving.
- To serve, place a spoonful of Chicken Lemak, on each serving plate. Add Tofu and sandwich Jasmine Rice between two betel leaves and add to the plate. Garnish with coriander leaves, cherry tomatoes and finger lime pulp. Serve with extra Lemak on the side.
Watch Full Episodes