Chocolate Celebration Cake
Recipe by: Cadbury
Prep Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 1 hour
- HEAT the cream in a saucepan and bring just to the boil. Immediately pour over the chocolate pieces and whisk vigorously to combine. Stand at room temperature to cool and firm. Refrigerate until required. (Will require time standing at room temperature to soften before using.)
- COMBINE sugar, water, butter, cocoa and bicarbonate soda in a saucepan and warm, but do not boil, stirring until the sugar has dissolved and the butter has melted. Transfer mixture to a bowl and cool for 30 minutes.
- BEAT in the eggs and vanilla. Stir in the flour and mix well. Divide and pour into 2 greased and base-lined 24cm round cake pans. Bake in a moderate oven 180°C for 40 minutes or until cooked. Cool for 10 minutes before turning onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- USE a serrated knife to cut each cake in half horizontally, trim if necessary to produce 4 even layers. Place 1 cake layer onto a serving plate. Spread with some ganache. Continue layering with another 2 layers of cake and ganache. Top with the remaining cake layer. Spread the top and sides with the remaining ganache. Chill for 30 minutes.
- DRIZZLE the dark chocolate around the outside edge of the cake so that it dribbles over the edge, spread any remaining chocolate over the top of the cake and allow the chocolate to firm. (At this stage the cake can be covered and refrigerated for 24 hours). Decorate and serve.
Notes: If holding the cake for later consumption be sure to allow it to sit at room temperature to soften for 30-60 minutes prior to decorating with flowers.