Coconut and Lemon Ice Cream with a Lemon Sauce, Lightly Roasted Peanuts & Roti Jala
Recipe by: Sarah Tiong - Contestant
- Turn on ice cream machine to chill according to manufacturers instructions.
- For the Coconut and Lemon Ice Cream, place coconut milk into a small saucepan over a medium heat and bring to just simmering point.
- Meanwhile, whisk egg yolks and sugar together in a bowl until pale. Remove coconut milk from heat and whisk half of the coconut milk into the yolk and sugar mixture until well combined. Pour egg milk mixture back into the saucepan of remaining coconut milk and place back over low heat, whisking continuously until mixture thickens slightly and coats the back of a wooden spoon, about 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat and strain through a fine sieve into a clean bowl. Chill over an ice bath until completely cool then stir in lemon zest. Transfer mixture to the ice cream machine and churn until set. Once set, transfer to the freezer until needed.
- For the Lemon Curd Sauce, place lemon juice and ¼ cup of the sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat and bring to the boil.
- Meanwhile, whisk egg and remaining sugar together in a bowl until well combined. Once lemon syrup is boiling, whisk 1/3 of the lemon syrup into the eggs and sugar then pour back into the saucepan of remaining lemon syrup. Place back over low heat and continue to whisk until slightly thickened, about 3-4 minutes. Whisk in butter, one cube at a time, whisking after each addition. Remove from heat aside until needed.
- For the Roti Jala, place all ingredients into a medium bowl along with 100ml of water and whisk until smooth. Transfer batter to a squeeze bottle.
- Place a non – stick frypan over low heat and brush lightly with some grapeseed oil. Squeeze batter in a criss-cross pattern onto the frypan to create a net. Leave to cook until slightly browned, about 40-50 seconds, then flip pancake and cook for a further 15-20 seconds. Remove from pan and immediately roll up into a tube. Set aside on a clean tray until needed.
- For the Toasted Peanuts, place peanuts into a small frypan over medium heat and toast until browned slightly, shaking pan regularly,about 4-5 minutes. Stir in the sugar and salt and continue to cook, stirring, until the sugar has dissolved and mixture resembles a crumble, about 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside until needed.
- To plate, spoon some Toasted Peanuts into the middle of the bowl. Cover the peanuts with some Lemon Curd Sauce. Place a rocher of the Coconut and Lemon Ice Cream on top of the mound of sauce. Garnish the ice cream with some finely chopped coriander. Balance the Roti Jala on top of the ice cream and serve immediately.
Notes: Roti Jala mixture yields approximately 12 large roti jala. Excess mixture can be stored in the fridge for up to 24 hours, to use at a later time. Excess cooked Roti Jala can be stored in fridge for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 1 month to use at a later time.