Confit Salmon with Aniseed Beurre Blanc
Recipe by: Lee Behan - Contestant
- Preheat oven to 120C. Fill and preheat sous vide machine to 50C.
- For the Slow Roasted Tomatoes, line a baking tray with baking paper. Spread tomatoes onto the lined tray, drizzle with olive oil, toasted aniseed and season with salt and pepper. Roast in the oven until tomatoes just begin to collapse, but have not coloured, about 40 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside until needed.
- Increase oven to 200C.
- For the Crispy Potatoes, line a roasting dish with baking paper. Cut potatoes into 2cm pieces and spread out in the lined dish. Add olive oil, butter and season with salt. Toss to coat thoroughly. Place into the oven to roast until tender and golden, about 30-35 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
- For the Roasted Fennel Fronds, line a small baking tray with baking paper. Pick 8 sprigs of fennel fronds and place onto a lined baking tray. Place into the oven to roast until dark in colour, about 25-30 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside until needed.
- For the Fennel Salad, use a mandolin to slice the fennel bulb thinly. Divide the sliced fennel between two small bowls.
- Place remaining ingredients into a small saucepan over medium heat and bring to the boil. Once boiling, pour the hot liquid over one of the bowls of fennel and allow fennel to pickle for 25 minutes. Fill the second bowl of sliced fennel with water and set both bowls aside for 25 minutes.
- Drain each bowl of fennel well. Pour fennel from both bowls of sliced fennel into a medium bowl and toss to combine. Set aside in the fridge until needed.
- For the Confit Salmon, place salmon fillets into a large sous vide bag with the olive oil. Vacuum seal the bag and place in the sous vide machine for 20 minutes. Remove bag from the sous vide machine and set aside on the bench until needed.
- For the Aniseed Buerre Blanc, place olive oil into medium frypan over a medium heat. Add carrot, garlic and shallot and sauté for 5 minutes. Add the salmon trimmings, prawns and aniseed and continue to cook until golden, about 5 minutes. Flambé the pan with the aniseed liqueur. When liqueur has nearly evaporated, add the white wine and flambé again. When wine has nearly evaporated add 300ml of water and simmer for 5-7 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and strain the sauce through a fine sieve into a clean saucepan. Place saucepan over medium heat and continue to simmer. Whisk in butter, 1 cube at a time, until sauce has emulsified and thickened. Remove from the heat and whisk in the cream. Season, to taste, and strain through a fine sieve into a serving jug.
- To serve, place 6 Slow Roasted Tomatoes onto each serving plate. Add some Fennel Salad and Crispy Potatoes. Remove Confit Salmon from bag, drain to remove excess oil, and add a fillet to each plate. Top with Roasted Fennel Sprigs. Serve Aniseed Buerre Blanc in a jug on the side.
Watch Full Episodes