Confit salmon with Tomato Tea
Chloe makes a simple yet elegant confit salmon with tomato tea, and delicate toppings of nasturtium leaves and fennel fronds
Recipe by: Chloe Carroll - Contestant
- Preheat oven to 180C. Preheat sous vide machine to 40C.
- For the Tomato Tea, place a muslin lined sieve over a large bowl and set over a bowl of ice. Place all ingredients in a large food processor and process until pureed. Transfer into sieve and set aside to strain, squeezing muslin gently, occasionally, to yield 1 cup of liquid. Skim the surface, season with salt, and set aside until serving.
- For the Confit Tomatoes, place ingredients into a small roasting tray and cover with aluminium foil. Place in oven to cook until the tomatoes are soft but still holding their shape, about 15-20 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
- Transfer cooled tomatoes to a small bowl. Crush tomatoes with the back of a fork and remove and discard the skin. Strain through a small sieve. Transfer pulp to a small bowl and set aside until serving.
- For the Parsley Oil, bring a small saucepan of water to the boil and prepare an ice bath in a medium bowl.
- Blanch parsley leaves in boiling water, until slightly wilted, about 10 seconds. Drain and immediately plunge into iced cold water. Drain wel, place into a clean tea towel and gently squeeze to remove excess water.
- Place the dried parsley leaves, olive oil and salt into a small food processor and process until smooth and emulsified. Transfer parsley oil to a muslin lined sieve sitting over a small bowl. Set aside, for oil to strain through, until serving.
- For the Confit Salmon, place salmon into two vacuum seal bags, making sure that the salmon fillets do not touch. Add ¼ cup oil, 2 fennel fronds and a pinch of salt to each bag. Expel and seal the air from the bag then place into sous vide machine. Cook until salmon fillets begin to fall apart, about 15-20 minutes. Remove from water, and remove the salmon from the bags, onto a plate. Set aside until serving.
- To serve, place a portion of Confit Salmon in each serving bowl. Top with the Confit Tomato pulp, finely sliced fennel, fennel fronds and nasturtium leaves. Pour ¼ cup of the Tomato Tea into the bowl and drizzle with a spoonful of Parsley Oil.
Watch Full Episodes