Deconstructed Cheese Platter with Honey Rosemary Ice-cream
Recipe by: Reynold Poernomo - Contestant
- Preheat oven to 160C.
- For the ice cream, place cream, milk, honey and rosemary in a pan and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and set aside to allow the rosemary to infuse.
- Place egg yolks and sugar in a mixer and beat until thickened and pale in colour. Strain milk mixture and slowly pour over the egg mix, while beating, and transfer to a pan. Stirring continuously, cook gently on a low heat until the custard has thickened and coats the back of a wooden spoon. Remove from heat, strain and cool mixture over an ice bath. Transfer to an ice cream machine and churn according to manufacturer’s instructions. Place in freezer.
- For the blue cheese foam, place cheese and cream in a pan until cheese has melted. Remove from heat and cool over an ice bath. Transfer to a siphon gun and use 2 chargers. Shake well and place in fridge.
- For the praline, place pecans on a lined baking tray. Cook sugar to a deep caramel colour and pour over pecans. Set aside to cool and set. Once set, roughly crush the praline and set aside.
- For the crispy apple skin, coat apple peel in oil and sugar and cook until dried and golden, about 20-25 minutes.
- Place kaiserflesch on a baking tray and bake until crispy, about 15 minutes. Set aside.
- For the toffee poached apple, use a melon baller to scoop 3 small and 2 large apple balls out of the apple. In a small pan combine water, ½ cup sugar and star anise and bring to a boil. Add apple balls to the syrup and lower heat to a simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from liquid and pierce each ball with a skewer.
- Place remaining sugar in a separate pan and cook to a deep caramel colour. Dip apple balls into caramel and set aside on a paper lined tray to set.
- For the charred figs, sprinkle sugar over figs. Using a blow torch, caramelise the sugar. Drizzle with honey.
- To assemble, arrange figs, ice cream and toffee apple balls on the plate. Garnish with praline, bacon and crispy apple skin. Finish with a dollop of blue cheese foam and sprinkle grated pecans over the top.
Watch Full Episodes