Duck Breast with Pea Puree and Bay Leaves
This tender Duck Breast recipe is the perfect meal, with a fresh pea puree and crispy duck skin.
Recipe by: Coskun Uysal
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- For the Duck Stock, place ingredients into a medium saucepan and cover with cold water. Place over a medium heat and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Strain through a fine sieve and set aside to cool.
- For the Crispy Duck Skin and Garlic, prepare an ice bowl by placing 1 cup of ice cubes into a medium bowl and place a small metal bowl on top.
- Remove the skin from the duck breasts and set the fillets aside. Pass the duck skin through a mincer or process in a food processor until finely chopped. Immediately transfer to the prepared ice bowl.
- Place 50ml of vegetable oil into a small frypan and place over medium heat. Add the minced duck skin and cook until golden and crispy. Remove from the pan and set aside on paper towel.
- Place the remaining 250ml of oil into a medium saucepan and heat to 180C.
- Place the flour into a medium bowl and toss the garlic slices in the flour. Transfer the floured garlic to a sieve and shake gently to remove excess flour.
- Cook in the hot oil until golden and crisp, about 3 minutes. Remove from the oil and set aside on paper towel.
- Chop the crispy garlic and mix with crispy duck skin. Season with salt and black pepper and set aside.
- For the Olive Oil Peas, place a medium frypan over medium heat. Add the olive oil, onion and bay leaves and cook until the onions are soft, about 10 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for a further 2 minutes, until fragrant.
- Add the peas and reduce the heat to low, cooking the peas slowly until soft, about 10 minutes.
- Season with salt, pepper and vinegar. Remove from the heat and keep warm.
- For the Bay Leaf Powder, place the bay leaves into an electric spice grinder and process to a powder. Pass through a fine sieve into a bowl and set aside.
- For the Duck breast, season the duck breasts with salt and pepper. Place a large oven-safe frypan over medium high heat. Add the oil and when hot place the duck into the pan and seal on each side for 2 minutes. Transfer the pan to the oven to cook 4 minutes. Remove from the oven.
- Place a large frypan over medium high heat. Add the butter, garlic and bay leaves. Once the butter has melted, add the duck breasts. Baste with the butter, until the internal temperature is 50C or until cooked to your liking. Remove the duck and set aside to rest for 5 minutes.
- For the Pea Sauce, place the ingredients, except the vinegar, into a blender and blend to a smooth sauce consistency. Pass through a sieve into a small saucepan. To serve, gently heat to 50C and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Cut each duck breast into three portions and arrange on the serving plates. Add some of the warm Pea Sauce and Olive Oil Peas to the plate. Sprinkle with Crispy Duck Skin over the duck breast. Finish with a sprinkle of Bay Leaf Powder.
Watch Full Episodes