Duck-Fat Potatoes and Carrots
Leah accompanies Nigella's traditional Roast Chicken with Duck Fat roasted potatoes and carrots with orange, maple syrup and bacon
Recipe by: Leah Milburn-Clark - Contestant
Serves: 4 as a side dish
- Preheat oven to 220C.
- For the Chicken Jus, place a large frypan over high heat.
- When hot, add the oil and chicken carcass pieces and cook until browned, about 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic and shallots and cook for 30 seconds until fragrant.
- Reduce the heat to low. Add the chicken stock and tarragon sprigs. Bring to a simmer and cook until the liquid has reduced by two-thirds, approximately 25-30 minutes. Strain the stock through a muslin lined sieve into a small saucepan and add the pan juices. Simmer until reduced by half then strain into a serving jug. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and keep warm.
- For the Orange Butter Carrots with Hazelnuts and Bacon, place the butter into a medium frypan and place over medium high heat.
- Add the carrots to the pan and toss to coat in the butter.
- Add half of the chicken stock, the juice of three oranges and a pinch of salt.
- Reduce the heat to low and cover the pan of carrots with a circle of cartouche. Cook until most of liquid has evaporated, about 10-15 minutes. Turn the carrots; add the remaining stock and the juice of remaining two oranges and cook until tender, about 10 minutes. Remove the cartouche and simmer until the liquid in the pan has reduced to a sticky glaze. Turn the carrots in the pan to coat in the glaze. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Meanwhile, place the hazelnuts and strips of orange rind onto a small baking tray. Roast in the oven until the hazelnuts are golden and skins are starting to lift, about 5-7 minutes.
- Remove the hazelnuts from the oven, discard the orange rind, and place into a clean tea towel. Cover and rub the hazelnuts to remove most of the skins. Transfer to a medium bowl and pour over the maple syrup and swirl the bowl until the nuts are completely coated. Set aside.
- Place a small frypan over high heat. Add the bacon and cook, stirring regularly, until browned and crispy.
- To serve, pile the carrots on a plate and drizzle with any remaining glaze. Top with the hazelnuts, bacon and a sprinkle of fresh thyme leaves.
- For the Duck Fat Potatoes, place potatoes into a medium saucepan of salted water and place over high heat. Bring to a simmer and cook the potatoes for 7-8 minutes until tender on the outside.
- Meanwhile, place the duck fat into a roasting dish and into the oven to heat.
- Drain the water from the potatoes and return the potatoes to the saucepan. Cover with a lid and shake the saucepan vigorously to roughen the outside of the potatoes.
- Transfer the potatoes to the dish of hot duck fat and toss to coat. Roast for 20 minutes, turning the potatoes half way.
- Add the rosemary and garlic to the tray and return to the oven to roast until the garlic is soft and the potatoes are golden and crisp, about 15 - 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and season the potatoes generously with salt.
- To serve, pile the potatoes high in a small dish and top with the garlic and rosemary.
- Serve with a Roast Chicken.
Notes: Pair these sides with Nigella's Roast Chicken recipe