Espresso Bavarois with Marsala Ice Cream
Recipe by: Harry Foster - Contestant
- Preheat oven to 190C. Turn on ice cream machine to chill.
- For the Nutella Snow, combine nutella and maltodextrin in a food processor and process until a powder forms. Set aside.
- For the Dacquoise, place egg whites into a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment and whisk to soft peaks then gradually add sugar to the egg whites and continue to whisk until thick and glossy. Fold in the powdered coffee and almond meal and spread into a deep 15cmx15cm baking tray lined with baking paper. Place into the oven and bake until golden, about 12-15 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
- For the Espresso Bavarois, place gelatine into a bowl of iced water and set aside to bloom.
- Place milk and cream into a small saucepan over medium heat and bring to a simmer. Remove from heat and whisk in instant coffee then set aside.
- Place a medium saucepan of water over medium heat and bring to a simmer. Whisk egg yolks and sugar together in a medium bowl then place over the saucepan of simmering water and continue to whisk until pale and fluffy. Remove from heat, whisk into the coffee milk mixture and place back onto low heat. Add gelatine and stir until dissolved and mixture has thickened slightly. Remove from heat and strain into a clean bowl. Place bowl over an ice bath and stir until mixture is completely cold. Once cold, pour over the reserved tin of Dacquoise and place in the fridge to set.
- For the Chocolate Spray, place a medium saucepan of water over medium heat and bring to a simmer. Place chocolate and cocoa butter into a medium sized bowl and sit over the saucepan of simmering water, stirring until completely melted. Transfer to a spray gun and set aside in a warm water bath until required.
- For the Marsala Ice Cream, place marsala into a small saucepan over medium heat and reduce by half. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Place milk, sugar, vanilla and cinnamon into a small saucepan and bring to a simmer. Whisk in milk powder until dissolved and remove from the heat. Whisk in the cold cream and reduced marsala until combined. Place into an ice cream machine and churn according to the manufacturers instructions until set.
- To serve, remove Espresso Bavarois from the fridge and carefully remove from the tin. Cut into 4 evenly sized squares. Shake the Chocolate Spray gun thoroughly and spray the squares of Espresso Bavarois to evenly coat. Allow squares to set for 5 minutes then place to one side on serving plates. Spoon some Nutella Snow on the other side of the plate and top with a scoop of Marsala Ice Cream then finish with some micro basil. Garnish Espresso Bavarois with some edible flower petals.
Watch Full Episodes