Fish and Greens
The pressure is on as the amateurs take on the professionals in a relay invention test
Air Date: 20 Jul 2017
Recipe by: Gary Mehigan
Rate this recipe:
- Invention Test
- Curtis Stone
- Black Sesame Seeds
- Caster Sugar
- Enoki Mushrooms
- Grapeseed Oil
- Kaffir Lime Leaves
- Nasturtium Leaves
- Nori Sheets
- Sourdough Bread
- Spring Onion
- White Miso
- White Wine Vinegar
- Preheat oven to 160C. Pre-heat an hibachi grill or a barbeque.
- For the Sweet and Sour Fennel, heat the oil in a large frypan over medium heat. Use a mandolin to finely slice the fennel bulb. Take one of the fennel stalks and chop roughly. Reserve the remaining fennel stalks for the Spring Onion Oil.
- Add the sliced fennel bulb, chopped fennel stalk and butter to the pan and cook until softened, about 6-8 minutes. Add 1 tablespoon of water and continue to cook until golden. Add the Pernod and cook for a further minute. Transfer to a small saucepan over medium heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until caramelised down to a jam, about 20 - 25 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside until needed.
- For the Spring Onion Oil, cut the roots off the bottom of the spring onion and discard. Chop the spring onion into small pieces and place into the Vitamix, along with the coriander, basil, reserved fennel stalks and oil and blitz until smooth. Strain the liquid through a fine sieve lined with muslin cloth into a bowl. Set the bowl aside, with the sieve on top, to allow the herb oil to strain through slowly.
- For the Pickled Cucumbers, place the white wine vinegar, sugar and peppercorns into a small saucepan over medium heat and cook until the sugar has dissolved. Remove from the heat.
- Place the cucumbers into a bowl. Pour the pickling liquid over the cucumbers and set aside to pickle for 20 minutes. Once pickled, drain and drizzle with the extra white wine vinegar.
- Take 4 pickled cucumber quarters and set aside in a small bowl until ready to serve. Place the remaining pickled cucumbers onto the hibachi grill or barbecue and grill until charred, about 2 minutes. Remove from the grill and set aside until ready to serve.
- For the Grilled Enoki, place the enoki onto the hibachi grill or barbecue and grill, turning, until charred, about 2 minutes. Remove from the grill and set aside until ready to serve.
- For the Nasturtium Wrapped Ocean Perch, slice the fish fillets in half lengthways. Spoon 1 tablespoon of the Fennel Jam into the middle of the nasturtium leaf and use the back of a spoon to press down and flatten slightly. Add a piece of fish, season with salt then roll up to encase. Repeat this process with the remaining pieces of fish and set aside covered in the fridge until needed.
- For the Miso Bread Mayonnaise, cut away the crusts from the piece of bread. Tear the bread into small pieces then place into a bowl and cover with water. Set aside to soak for 5 minutes, then drain.
- Place the miso, shallot, soaked and drained bread and the oil into a Vitamix and blitz until smooth, about 1-2 minutes. With the Vitamix running, slowly add the kaffir lime juice and continue to blitz until smooth. Season to taste and transfer to a piping bag. Set aside in the fridge until ready to serve.
- For the Nori Powder, place nori, ikan bilis, sesame and dashi into a Vitamix and blitz, using the tamper to push down, until a fine powder is achieved. Transfer to a bowl and set aside until needed.
- For the Crispy Kale and Cauliflower, heat the oil in a 3L medium saucepan over medium heat. Once hot, add the kale and fry until crisp, about 3-4 minutes. Remove from the oil and set aside on paper towel to drain until ready to serve.
- To the pan of hot oil, add the cauliflower slices and cook for 30 seconds to seal, turn cauliflower over then add the miso and butter and cook, turning, until the cauliflower is golden and crisp. Remove from the oil, add to the bowl of Nori Powder and toss to coat. Remove cauliflower from the bowl and shake off excess Nori Powder. Set aside on a tray until ready to serve.
- To serve, pipe a few mounds of the Bread Miso Mayonnaise onto each plate. Add 2 pieces of charred Pickled Cucumber and a piece of the reserved Pickled Cucumber to each plate. Garnish each mound of Bread Miso mayonnaise with fava bean flowers. Place a few pieces of the Nori Powder coated Crispy Cauliflower to one side of each plate and spoon some of the Fennel Jam onto the opposing side of the plate. Add a piece of Crispy Kale to each plate. Slice ends from the wrapped fish to neaten then one a piece to each plate. Finish with some Charred Enoki Mushrooms and a drizzle of the Spring Onion Oil.