Recipe by: Heston Blumenthal
For the base syrup
- Mix together the fructose, pectin, coriander seeds, fennel seeds and juniper seeds.
- Heat the tonic water to 50C and whisk in the spices, pectin and sugar mixture.
- Boil for 1 min, whisking continuously. Remove from the heat and cool over an ice bath.
- When cool, add the lemon peel. Allow to infuse in the fridge for 24 hours.
- Strain through a fine sieve and reserve the liquid in 320 gram sous-vide bags.
For the mousse
- Blitz together the base syrup, lemon juice, egg white, gin, citric acid and tonic water with a hand blender until combined. This should take less than a minute.
- Pour into a 500ml siphon charged with 2 C02 chargers.
- Place in the fridge for a minimum of one hour before serving.
- Discharge a spoonful of the mousse onto a dessert spoon and drop the mousse into the liquid nitrogen and leave for 10 seconds, before turning over.
- The nitro ball should be crispy on the outside and soft in the centre. Place it on a plate to be eaten immediately.
Watch Full Episodes