Hoda's Middle Eastern Ice-Cream
Hoda's decadent Middle Eastern Ice-Cream Cones are a culinary delight and are sure to please a crowd.
Recipe by: Hoda Kobeissi - Contestant
- Pre-chill ice-cream machine
- For the Date Molasses Ice-Cream, place all ingredients in a medium sized bowl and whisk well to combine. Place in the chilled ice-cream machine and churn for 45 - 50 minutes or according to manufacturer’s instructions. Once churned, set aside, in freezer, until serving.
- For the Pistachio Halva, combine the icing sugar, tahini and milk powder in a small bowl and mix, by hand, until thoroughly combined.
- Mix through chopped pistachio nuts, press mixture firmly into a cling film lined 12cm x 6cm x 5cm loaf tin. Set aside, in freezer, until firm, and ready to serve, about 45 minutes.
- For the Kataifi Cone, place flour, cornflour, olive oil, salt, and 200ml water into a tall measuring jug and using a stick blender, process until well combined. Set aside for 10 minutes then transfer rested mixture to a piping bag fitted with a small, round piping tip.
- Place a large frypan over high heat. Starting in the centre, pipe mixture in a fine line into the pan in concentric circles to from strands, keeping each strand separate. Cook until set, about 10-15 seconds. Using a spatula, remove cooked strands from frypan and place onto a baking tray to cool. Repeat with remaining mixture.
- Heat canola oil in a medium saucepan to 180C.
- To shape into cones, wrap cooked strands around metal cone moulds. Press and squeeze gently to form into shape and press to seal tip. Deep fry each cone in the 180C oil until golden and crispy, about 2-3 minutes. Remove from oil and remove metal mould. Set aside, to drain, on paper towel until serving.
- For the Chocolate Coating, place chocolate into a microwave safe bowl and melt in microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring after each interval, until chocolate is melted and glossy. Set aside, keeping warm, until serving.
- To serve, fill cooled cones with Chocolate Coating and place upside down to drain excess chocolate. Place cones into a cone holder. Remove halva from the freezer and crumble finely. Spoon Pistachio Halva into base of cones, top with a scoop of Date Molasses Ice-Cream and sprinkle with chopped pistachios and rose petals. Serve immediately.
Watch Full Episodes