Recipe by: Ashleigh Bareham - Contestant
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- To make the ricotta filling, peel strips of zest off the orange and cut into fine matchsticks.
- Bring a saucepan of water to a boil over high heat. Add orange zest matchsticks and blanch for 10 seconds. Drain and repeat the process twice more using fresh water each time, to remove all bitterness from the zest
- Place sugar and water in a saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Add blanched zest and allow to simmer for 10 minutes. Drain and finely chop zest and set aside.
- Place pistachio nuts on a tray and place in the oven to roast for 5 minutes. Remove from oven, roughly chop and set aside.
- Place cardamom pods in a mortar and pestle and pound. Remove husks and grind seeds to a fine powder.
- Place ricotta, blanched orange zest, chopped pistachio nuts, ground cardamom seeds, chopped chocolate, and icing sugar in a bowl and stir to combine. Set aside.
- To make the chocolate ganache, bruise cardamom pods with the back of a knife. Place in a saucepan with the cream and set over medium heat to heat until just below boiling.
- Meanwhile, place the chocolate in a bowl. Remove cream from heat and pour through a strainer onto chocolate. Stir until chocolate has melted and ganache is smooth. Set aside in the fridge.
- To make the salted caramel sauce, place sugar in a saucepan and set over medium-high heat. Cook, whisking constantly, until a caramel colour. Whisk in butter, then cream and salt. Remove from heat and set aside.
- To make the pistachio praline, place pistachio nuts on a paper lined tray and place in the oven to roast for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside. Place sugar in a saucepan and set over medium high to cook until caramelised, whisking constantly. Remove from heat immediately and pour over roasted pistachio nuts. Allow to set then break into pieces and pound in a mortar and pestle until small pieces form. Set aside.
- To cook jaffle, preheat jaffle iron. Slice brioche lengthways. Brush the outside of 2 slices of brioche with melted butter and lightly sprinkle with caster sugar. Spoon ricotta filling onto the un-buttered side of one piece of brioche, leaving a gap around all edges. Drizzle over salted caramel sauce and sprinkle with praline. Dot with small spoonful of ganache over and top with other slice of brioche. Toast in hot jaffle iron until golden, about 4-5 minutes.
Watch Full Episodes