Japanese Inspired Seafood Salad
George takes inspiration from Japan and creates a delicate Seafood Salad
Air Date: 07 Jul 2017
Recipe by: George Calombaris
Rate this recipe:
- George Calombaris
- Agar Agar
- Caster Sugar
- Dried Shiitake Mushrooms
- Enoki Mushrooms
- Grapeseed Oil
- Ponzu Sauce
- Sea Salt
- Shiitake Mushrooms
- Soy Sauce
- Yuzu Ponzu
- For the Mushroom Ketchup, chop fresh shiitake mushrooms finely. Place into a Vitamix along with the soy sauce and blitz until smooth. Place a fine sieve lined with muslin over a bowl and pour in the purée. Allow to strain overnight in the fridge.
- The next day, rehydrate dried shiitakes in a bowl by covering with boiling water. Strain and squeeze out mushrooms, reserving water in a clean bowl.
- Roughly chop the rehydrated mushrooms. Place the oil in a frypan over medium heat. Add the chopped mushrooms and sauté just golden, about 3 minutes. Transfer mixture to a large bowl.
- Remove mushroom purée from the fridge, discard the solids and add the liquid to the bowl, along with the reserved rehydrating water. Set aside to infuse for an hour then strain through a fine sieve, discarding the solids.
- Weigh out 1litre of the strained mushroom liquid, discarding the remainder. Season with ponzu and stir in the agar powder. Transfer to a medium saucepan over medium-high heat and bring to the boil
- Remove from heat and strain into a clean jug. Pour onto a 30cm x 20cm baking tray and set aside in the fridge until set.
- Once set, remove from fridge and roughly chop. Place into Vitamix and purée until smooth and gel like. Transfer to a piping bag and set aside in the fridge until needed.
- Pre-heat a sous vide machine to 57C.
- For the Rice Cream, place all ingredients into a Thermomix and turn onto 100C, speed 5 for 20 minutes. Once cooked, transfer mixture to a piping bag and set aside, in the fridge, until needed.
- For the Uni Parfait, place shallots, garlic, sake and mirin into a small saucepan over a medium heat and bring to the boil then reduce heat and cook until reduced, about 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and set aside to cool to 50-60C. Add uni and egg and stir well. Remove gelatine from the water and squeeze to remove excess moisture. Add gelatine to the mixture, along with a pinch of salt.
- Place the mixture into a Vitamix and turn on to medium speed. With the Vitamix running, slowly pour in the melted butter in a slow and steady stream. Once all the butter is added, turn the machine to high speed and blitz until fully emulsified. Season with salt to taste.
- Transfer mixture to a cryovac bag and seal. Place cryovac bag into the preheated sous vide machine at 57C for 20 minutes. Remove from sous vide and plunge straight into an ice bath to cool. Transfer to a piping bag and set aside in the fridge until ready to plate.
- For the Pickled Enoki, combine all ingredients except for the mushrooms in a small saucepan over low heat and stir until sugar and salt has dissolved. Remove from heat and allow to cool completely.
- Once cool, add mushrooms and set aside to pickle until ready to serve.
- For the Daikon Tube, use a large knife to peel the daikon and trim to an even cylinder shape. Secure daikon into the rolling machine and roll machine to create long thin sheets of daikon.
- Trim sheets down to 2.5cm wide strips. Cut strips into 6cm lengths to create precisely cut rectangles.
- Take a sharpening steel and wrap with some cling film. Wrap the daikon rectangles tightly around the tip of the lined steel and use fingertips to pinch the seal and create a daikon tube. Gently push the daikon tube off the steel, keeping an intact cylinder. Repeat with the remainder of the daikon strips. Set tubes aside on a plate until ready to serve.
- To serve, place 9cm metal ring cutters into the centre of each serving plate. Use tweezers to gently place the daikon tubes around the inside of the ring and continue to place daikon tubes into the ring cutter until completely full.
- Pipe some of the Rice Cream, Uni Parfait and Mushroom Ketchup alternately into separate Daikon Tubes. Place some of the Pickled Enoki mushrooms onto some of the tubes. Add some of the dehydrated tomatoes and the crab claw and meat. Finish with one fresh uni and some fish roe. Add some shiso flowers. Sprinkle some of the roasted brown rice tea leaves over the top. Add a light sprinkle of freshly grated wasabi and garnish with micro herbs.
Watch Full Episodes