Kangaroo Tartare with Smoked Egg Yolk
Recipe by: Nicole Stevenson - Contestant
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- For the Wattle Seed Cracker, sift the flour into a medium bowl and add salt. Stir in the water and oil and mix until a rough dough forms. Transfer to a lightly floured work surface and knead briefly until smooth. Wrap the dough in cling film and set aside for 10 minutes to rest.
- Unwrap the dough and place into the middle of a 30cm piece of baking paper. Roll the dough out to 2mm thick. Sprinkle the wattle seeds over the dough and roll to 1mm thick. Brush with 1 tablespoon of the oil. Carefully lift the baking paper and biscuit and transfer it to a baking tray. Place into the oven and cook until golden, about 8-10 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool. Once cool, break into shards and set aside.
- For the Sea Lettuce Pickle, place all ingredients into a small bowl and mix to combine. Set aside to pickle for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for the Quandong Purée, place the quandong and sugar along with 1 cup of water into a small saucepan over low heat and cook until soft. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Pass through a sieve into a small bowl and set aside.
- For the Kangaroo Tartare, finely dice the kangaroo into 3mm dices. Dress with the oil, season with salt and pepper and toss to coat. Cover and set aside in the fridge until needed.
- For the Smoked Egg Yolk, carefully place egg yolks into a shallow metal tray. Cover the tray tightly with cling film. Insert the hose of a smoking gun, then reseal the cling film tightly. Light the smoking gun and allow the tray to fill with smoke then remove the hose and reseal the cling film. Set aside to smoke for 3 minutes, then uncover the cling film to release the smoke. Reseal the tray with cling film and set aside in the fridge until needed.
- For the Fresh Quandong, place fresh quandong and sugar in a small bowl and mix well to combine. Set aside.
- To serve, place a 5cm round ring mould onto the serving plate. Fill the ring with ¼ of the Kangaroo Tartare and press down gently. Remove the ring and carefully place a Smoked Egg Yolk on top. Pipe some Quandong Purée onto the plate. Spoon some Sea Lettuce Pickle next to the Quandong Purée and add some Fresh Quandong to the plate. Finish with some pieces of the Wattle Seed Cracker.
Watch Full Episodes