Lamb Backstrap with Minted Pea Puree, Parsnip and Sweet Potato Chips
Bursting with fresh ingredients, this Lamb Backstrap is healthy, delicious and simple to prepare.
Recipe by: Purple Team
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- For the Lamb Jus, remove the backstraps from the racks. Trim off any excess fat and sinew; reserve the trimmings. Cover the backstraps and set aside in the fridge.
- Chop bones into small pieces and place into a medium flameproof roasting dish along with the trimmings. Cook in the oven until browned, approximately 30 minutes, shaking the pan occasionally.
- Remove from the oven and remove bones from the roasting dish. Drain most of the fat from the pan then place over a medium heat.
- Add the onions, celery, garlic, carrot, thyme and rosemary to the pan and cook, stirring, until the vegetables are golden and tender.
- Return the roasted bones to the dish, add the veal stock and 750ml water.
- Increase the heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer the stock for 25 minutes.
- Pass the stock through a large muslin line sieve into a small saucepan. Place over a high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until the liquid has reduced and thickened slightly.
- Remove from the heat and whisk in the butter, one piece at a time, until combined. Whisk in the lemon juice and salt, to taste. Set aside, keeping warm.
- For the Roasted Cherry Tomatoes, slice the tomatoes in half and place onto a lined baking tray.
- Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Add the rosemary and thyme sprigs to the tray.
- Cook in the oven for 20 minutes or until soft and blistered.
- For the Pea Puree, place all ingredients and 50ml water into a blender and process until smooth. Pass through a fine sieve. Transfer to a small saucepan and warm over low heat to serve.
- For the Fresh Peas, bring a small saucepan of water to a simmer and prepare an ice bath in a medium bowl.
- Remove the peas from the pods then blanch the peas in simmering water for one minute. Refresh in the iced water. Drain well then set aside.
- Preheat the oil in a medium saucepan to 180C.
- For the Vegetable Strips, using a peeler, peel strips from the parsnips and sweet potato.
- Add the vegetable strips to the hot oil, in batches, and cook until crispy and golden, about 1-2 minutes.
- Remove from the oil and set aside on a paper towel. Season with salt.
- For the Lamb Backstrap, reduce the oven temperature to 110C.
- Drizzle backstraps with oil and season with salt. Place a large oven safe frypan over a high heat. Add the lamb and sear until browned, about 2 minutes on each side.
- Transfer to the oven. Cook until the internal temperature reaches 50C, about 8 minutes, or until cooked to your liking.
- Remove from the oven and rest for 10 minutes before slicing.
- To serve, spoon some Pea Puree onto each plate. Top with slices of Lamb Backstrap, some Roasted Cherry Tomatoes and Fresh Peas. Spoon Lamb Jus over the lamb and finish with the Vegetable Chips.
Watch Full Episodes