Lamb Tartare with Raspberry Granita, Popcorn and Smoked Egg Yolk
Recipe by: Callan Smith - Contestant
- For the Lamb Tartare, first heat the oil in a medium sized frypan over medium heat to 180C.
- Meanwhile, cut the lamb into a small dice. Place the diced lamb into a clean bowl and cover with cling film. Set aside in the fridge.
- Dry the drained capers with paper towel. Add to the frypan of hot oil and fry until golden and crisp, about 1-2 minutes. Remove form oil and drain on paper towel.
- To the bowl of diced lamb, add the lime juice, vinegar, cornichon and half of the crispy capers. Season with salt and pepper then re-cover and set aside in the fridge until needed. Reserve the remaining crispy capers for later use.
- For the Raspberry Granita, combine the sugar and water in a small pot over low heat and stir until the sugar has dissolved. Remove the sugar syrup from the heat and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Place the raspberries into a blender with the sugar syrup and blend until smooth. Strain through a sieve into a shallow tray, then place into the freezer until frozen.
- Once frozen, use a fork to scrape the frozen granita to create a snow. Set aside in the freezer, scraping with a fork every 10 minutes, until ready to serve.
- For the Popcorn, heat the oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the popcorn kernels, cover with the lid and cook until the kernels pop. Remove from the heat and set the saucepan aside, covered, for 5 minutes. Uncover and season the popcorn with salt then set aside until needed.
- Carefully place the egg yolks into a large bowl, being careful not to break the yolks. Cover the bowl with cling film. Insert the hose of a smoking gun and seal the cling film around the hose tightly. Light the smoking gun chips and allow the bowl to fill with smoke, then remove the hose and re-seal the cling film tightly. Set aside to smoke for 10 minutes.
- To serve, gently place some of the Lamb Tartare mixture into a ring mould. Place a Smoked Egg Yolk into the middle of the Lamb Tartare and garnish with the Popcorn and Rasberry Granita. Serve with a last minute squeeze of lime and a scatter of the reserved crispy capers.
Watch Full Episodes