Lemon Myrtle Ice Cream with Macadamia Shortbread, Grapes and Kaiserfleisch
Recipe by: Ben Ungermann - Contestant
- Turn on ice cream machine to pre-chill. Pre-heat oven to 180C.
- For the Lemon Myrtle Ice Cream, place cream, milk and lemon myrtle into a medium saucepan, whisk to combine and place over medium heat. Bring to a simmer then remove from heat.
- Place egg and sugar in to the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment and whisk until pale and creamy. With motor running, add the hot cream mixture to the egg mixture and whisk until well combined. Return the mixture to the saucepan and stir over low heat until mixture thickens and can coat the back of the spoon. Remove from heat, strain through a fine sieve into a medium bowl and place over an ice bath to cool. Once cool, pour mixture into ice cream machine and churn according to manufacturer’s instructions. Once churned, transfer the ice cream to the freezer to set.
- For the Macadamia Shortbread, place macadamia nuts into a food processor and process until fine. Spread out over a baking tray lined with baking paper and toast in the pre-heated oven until lightly golden, about 5 – 6 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool on the tray.
- Once cool, place the toasted macadamias into a medium bowl, along with the remaining ingredients and bring together to form a soft smooth dough. Wrap the dough in cling film and allow to rest in fridge for 10 minutes. Remove from fridge, unwrap, then roll out onto a sheet of baking paper to a thickness of 5mm. Place paper and dough onto a flat baking tray and bake in the pre-heated oven until golden, about 15 minutes. Remove from the oven, allow to cool, then crumble with fingertips to a fine crumb. Set aside on the tray until ready to serve.
- For the Grapes Two Ways, place half of the grapes onto a baking tray lined with baking paper, drizzle with oil and 1 tablespoon of the sugar. Roast in the pre-heated oven until just beginning to soften and shrivel, about 20 minutes. Remove grapes from oven and set aside to cool until ready to serve
- Place vinegar, lemon myrtle, the remaining sugar and 125ml water into a small saucepan and stir over low heat until sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat and set aside until needed.
- Cut the remaining grapes in half and place into a medium bowl. Pour the pickling liquid over the top and set aside to pickle for 20 minutes. Once pickled, strain the grapes and set aside on paper towel until ready to serve.
- For the Candied Kaiserfleisch, place kaiserfleisch into a saucepan and place over a low heat. Fry very gently until the fat has rendered out, about 5 minutes. Once fat has rendered, sprinkle sugar over the kaiserfleisch and continue to cook until caramelised and crispy, about 4 – 5 minutes. Once crispy, remove from pan and set aside on paper towel until ready to serve.
- For the Charred Cucumber, place sugar into a spice grinder and process to a powder. Set aside in a small bowl until needed.
- Peel cucumber and slice the sides off lengthways, either side of seeds. Use a 1.5cm round cutter to cut rounds from the lengths of the cucumbers. Roll the cucumber rounds in the ground sugar then place onto a wire rack set over an open flame. Grill over the open flame until lightly charred, about 4 minutes each side. Once charred, remove from the heat and set aside on the wire rack until ready to serve.
- For the Goat’s Cheese Mousse, place sugar into a spice grinder and process to powder. Place goats cheese, cream and powdered sugar into the canister of a stick blender fitted with a whisk attachment and whisk until sugar has dissolved and consistency is smooth and pipeable. Transfer mousse to a piping bag and set aside until ready to serve.
- To serve, place a mound of crumb into the middle of each serving plate. Arrange roasted and pickled grapes and a few pieces of Charred Cucumber over the crumb. Pipe Goat’s Cheese Mousse around the edge of crumb, and between the grapes and cucumber. Sprinkle each dish with Candied Kaiserfleisch and top with a quenelle of ice cream.
Watch Full Episodes