Lobster Cannelloni with Artichokes
Recipe by: Harry Foster - Contestant
Rate this recipe:
- Service Challenge
- Harry Foster - Contestant
- Bay Leaf
- Brussels Sprouts
- Egg Whites
- Lemon Juice
- Olive Oil
- Panko Crumbs
- White Wine
- For the Lobster Sauce, remove lobster head and cut into small pieces, reserving tail in the fridge for later use. Place a large saucepan over medium heat, add oil and chopped lobster head and fry until caramelised, about 3-4 minutes. Add onion, carrot, celery, garlic and bay leaf and continue to cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Deglaze pan with white wine and Pernod, reduce heat and simmer until reduced by half. Add 1 ½ litres of water to the pot and simmer on low heat for 3 hours.
- Strain through a fine sieve into a clean medium sized saucepan over medium heat and reduce to 200ml, about 12-15 minutes. Once reduced, whisk in cold butter, one cube at a time until emulsified. Season and set aside, keeping warm.
- For the Corn Custard, trim kernels from the corn cobs and pass through a slow juicer. Place juice into a small saucepan over medium heat and stir frequently until juice has thickened. Transfer to a medium bowl and cover with cling film. Insert the hose of a smoking gun. Light the smoking gun chips and allow the bowl to fill with smoke then remove hose and reseal tightly. Set aside to smoke for 10 minutes then uncover, season and set aside.
- For the Sautéed Brussel Sprouts and Artichokes, trim the base of the brussel sprouts and remove any tough outer leaves. Cut into half, lengthways, and place into a large microwave safe bowl. Remove outer leaves from the artichoke and trim the top and stem. Cut artichokes in half and remove the inner choke, then cut in half again. Add artichoke to the bowl of brussel sprouts and drizzle with the oil, lemon juice and a sprinkle of salt. Cover with cling film and cook for 3 minutes. Place a large fry pan over medium heat, add artichokes and brussel sprouts and sauté until lightly golden, about 4-5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- For the Toasted Crumb, melt butter in a medium frypan over medium heat and add panko crumbs. Stir continuously until golden and crisp, about 3-4 minutes. Remove pan from heat and set aside.
- For the Lobster Cannelloni, prepare pasta dough by combining flour, egg, oil and a pinch salt in a food processor and pulsing until dough just comes together. Transfer dough to a lightly floured work surface and knead for 5 minutes until a smooth dough has formed. Wrap in cling film and set aside to rest for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for the Lobster Filling, place butter in a medium fry pan over a low heat. Add shallots and garlic and sauté, stirring, until soft and lightly golden. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, roughly chop the kingfish and place into bowl of food processor. Remove flesh from lobster tail, set aside half of the tail and place other half into food processor with the kingfish. Add egg white and mascarpone and process to a smooth mousse. Transfer mousse to a medium sized bowl and add stir in sautéed shallot and garlic. Finely dice the reserved half of the lobster tail and add to the bowl then gently stir to combine. Transfer filling to a piping bag and set aside in the fridge.
- Unwrap pasta dough and pass through a pasta machine in 2 batches, to the thinnest setting and lay sheet on lightly floured work surface. Pipe mousse along pasta sheets and roll to encase filling and form a tube. Cut the tubes into 10cm lengths. Place tubes into a bamboo steamer lined with baking paper. Place a large saucepan of water over medium heat and bring to a simmer. Sit bamboo steamer over saucepan and allow to steam for until pasta is tender and filling is cooked through, about 8-10 minutes. Remove bamboo steamer basket from saucepan and set aside.
- To serve, spoon a circle of Corn Custard onto the plate. Top with a Lobster Cannelloni and sprinkle the Toasted Crumb on top. Add a piece of Sautéed Brussel Sprout and Artichoke to the plate. Finish with micro chervil.
Watch Full Episodes