Marinated Lamb with Roasted Carrots, Parsnip Puree and Pickled Shallots
Recipe by: Olivia Robinson - Contestant
Rate this recipe:
- Invention Test
- Olivia Robinson - Contestant
- Caster Sugar
- Goats Cheese
- Grapeseed Oil
- Lemon Juice
- Olive Oil
- White Wine Vinegar
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- For the Quinoa and Cumin Crackers, line a baking tray with baking paper. Place quinoa into a fine sieve and rinse well under water. Place rinsed quinoa into a small saucepan and cover with water. Bring to the boil and cook for 15 minutes.
- Strain and place cooked quinoa into a bowl. Add remaining ingredients with 85ml water and stir to form a thick batter. Season and spread thinly onto lined tray and sprinkle with some extra cumin seeds.
- Place into oven and bake for 15 minutes then flip cracker layer over to cook other side until crisp, about 15 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside to cool. Once cool, break up into small pieces and set aside.
- For the Goats Cheese Cream, combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix until well combined. Season to taste and set aside in the fridge.
- For the Pickled Shallots, combine vinegar, spices, sugar and 1 cup of water in a saucepan and heat until sugar has dissolved.
- Carefully peel away and discard the outer layers of the shallots until they are about the size of a grape. Add to pickling liquid and cook on low heat for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- For the Roasted Carrots, place all ingredients in a roasting tray and toss to coat. Season and roast in the oven until golden and soft, about 30 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
- For the Parsnip Puree, place parsnips and onion on a baking tray and drizzle with oil. Season and roast in the oven until caramelised and tender, about 30-35 minutes.
- Transfer parsnip and onion to a frypan over low heat. Add milk and bring to a simmer. Transfer mixture to a food processor, add butter and blitz to a smooth puree. Add more milk to achieve a smooth texture if required. Pass through a sieve, season to taste and set aside.
- For the Lamb Backstrap, combine yoghurt, spices and olive oil in a bowl. Add lamb and coat well to marinate. Set aside in fridge until required.
- For the Parsnip Chips, heat oil in a medium saucepan to 180C. Slice parsnip on a mandolin and add to oil, fry in batches until golden then set aside on paper towel. Season with salt.
- To finish the Lamb Backstrap, heat a frypan over medium heat. Add marinated lamb and sear for 2 minutes on each side. Place pan into oven and cook to medium rare, about 5-6 minutes or until cooked to your liking.
- Remove from oven and allow to rest for 5 minutes before slicing.
- To serve, smear some Parsnip Puree onto serving plates. Arrange some Roasted Carrots, Pickled Shallots and slices of Lamb, Backstrap on the plate. Top with some Parsnip Chips, Quinoa Crackers and finish with a few dollops of Goats Cheese Cream.
Watch Full Episodes