Matt's Nuggets and Chips
Matt gives us his spin on a family favourite
Air Date: 11 May 2017
Matt takes on the classic Chicken Schnitzel Nuggets with Sweet Potato Chips also served with Gochujang Mayonnaise and Miso Bacon Mayonnaise
Recipe by: Matt Preston
- Preheat oven to 160C.
- For the Gochujang Mayonnaise, place gochujang and vinegar into a stick blender canister. Carefully crack the egg into the canister, keeping yolk in tact. Add grapeseed oil and sesame oil. Insert stick blender into the canister carefully so that the basket of the stick blender is completely covering the yolk. Turn on blender and as ribbons appear, slowly pull stick upwards and continue to blitz until thick and creamy. Spoon into a ramekin and top with chilli and sesame seeds. Set aside in the fridge.
- For the Miso Bacon Mayonnaise, place a small frypan over medium heat. Add bacon and cook for 2-3 minutes each side until golden and crisp. Remove from pan, chop roughly and set aside.
- Place miso and vinegar into a stick blender canister. Carefully crack the egg into the canister, keeping yolk in tact. Add grapeseed oil. Insert stick blender into the canister carefully so that the basket of the stick blender is completely covering the yolk. Turn on blender and as ribbons appear, slowly pull stick upwards and continue to blitz until thick and creamy.
- Add bacon and blitz with stick blender until bacon has broken up slightly and is fully incorporated. Spoon into a ramekin and set aside in the fridge.
- For the Sweet Potato Chips, line 2 baking trays with baking paper.
- Using a flat edge peeler, peel sweet potato into wide ribbons and spread out onto prepared trays. Place into the oven to bake until crisp, about 18-20 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside to cool. Repeat with remaining sweet potato.
- Increase oven temperature to 200C.
- For the Chicken Schnitzel, place butter into a medium sized glass bowl and sit over a saucepan of simmering water to melt.
- Meanwhile, combine the dry ingredients in a large sized bowl and set aside.
- Place chicken thighs between two sheets of baking paper on a chopping board and tenderise with a meat mallet. Cut chicken into bite-sized pieces.
- Add chicken pieces to the bowl of butter over steaming water and stir to coat the chicken. Remove from heat, drain excess butter then add chicken to the bowl of crumb and toss to coat completely. Transfer to a baking tray lined with baking paper and bake until golden, about 18-20 minutes, turning halfway.
- To serve, pile Chicken Schnitzels onto one side of a large serving platter. Pile Sweet Potato Chips next to the pile of Chicken Schnitzel. Add ramekins of Miso Bacon Mayonnaise and Gochujang Mayonnaise to the plate. Serve with fresh cos lettuce leaves, lemon wedges and maple syrup on the side.