Recipe by: Mindy Woods - Contestant
Serves: Serves: 4
- For roti, sift flour and salt into a bowl, make a well in the centre, add ghee and mix well, gradually add the water to make a dough. Knead on a clean bench for 10 minutes or until soft and elastic. Place dough in a bowl and cover with a damp cloth, set aside to rest (ideally for 2 hours) or in a warm place for at least 25 minutes. Remove from bowl, roll on an oiled bench into a 30cm log, cut into 4 equal portions and roll into balls. Coat each ball lightly with oil. Flatten and stretch each ball into a flat round shape the size of a dinner plate.
- For filling, heat oil in a wok over high heat, add the garlic, ginger, eschalots and spring onions, quickly stir-fry. Add mince and keep stirring to brown all over. Add ground coriander, cumin, fennel, turmeric and chilli. Stir in the soy and white pepper. Cook a further 2-3 minutes or until mince is cooked. Remove from wok and set aside.
- For pickle, place the vinegar, sugar and fish sauce in a saucepan, place over a medium heat and bring to the boil, add the coriander root, garlic and chilli, reduce to a simmer and reduce by 1/3, place the cucumber and chillies in a bowl, strain the liquid and pour over, set aside. Just before serving add the tomatoes. Line a 5-6cm chefs ring or cookie cutter with cucumber ribbons to form a cylinder. Fill with a little of the pickle mixture.
- Heat an oiled flat grill plate over a high heat, place flat dough onto the hot pan, spoon 4 tablespoons of the filling into the centre of the dough, cover with a tablespoon of the beaten egg and top with bean shoots, and cook for 1-2 minutes, Fold each corner in to form an envelope and enclose the mixture, using a flat spatula carefully turn over and cook for a further few minutes or until golden brown and crispy. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Cut on a diagonal, place on a serving plate with the pickle to serve.
Notes: Preparation: 1 hour plus 1.5 hours resting time
Cooking: 45 minutes
Watch Full Episodes