Olive Oil Ice Cream with Whisky Roasted Pears and Fennel
Recipe by: Karlie Verkerk - Contestant
- Turn ice cream churner on to pre-chill, and preheat oven to 180°C.
- For the Olive Oil Ice Cream, heat milk and cream in a medium saucepan over medium heat, until just below boiling point. Once at temperature, remove from heat. Meanwhile, combine caster sugar and egg yolks in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a whisk attachment and whisk until pale and fluffy. Gradually add hot milk to egg mixture, while continuing to whisk, until combined. Return mixture to the saucepan and cook over low to medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and coats the back of the spoon.
- Strain the anglaise into a medium bowl, then whisk in the olive oil. Chill the mixture over a bowl of iced water, then transfer to ice cream churner and churn according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Once churned, transfer ice cream into freezer to set.
- For the Whisky Baked Pears, place pear wedges onto a shallow baking tray lined with baking paper, then sprinkle over whiskey and sugar. Bake for 40 minutes or until tender and caramelised. Remove from oven and set aside to cool until needed.
- For the Pickled Fennel, combine fennel and vinegar in a small bowl and set aside to pickle for 10 minutes. Drain fennel and set aside until needed.
- For the Baked Fennel, spread slices of fennel onto a baking tray lined with baking paper and bake for 12-15 minutes or until dry, lightly golden and crisp around edges. Remove form oven and set aside until needed.
- For the Caramelised Pear Purée, place all ingredients in a small saucepan and cook over medium heat until pears have broken down and caramelised. Transfer to the canister of a stick blender and blitz to a smooth purée. Set aside until needed.
- For the Dehydrated Vietnamese Mint and Fennel Fronds, first place the Vietnamese mint leaves onto clean turntable of microwave oven lined with a piece of paper towel, and cook for 90 seconds until dry. Remove from microwave and set aside to cool. Transfer to a food processor and blend to a fine powder. Set aside until needed. Repeat drying process with fennel fronds then remove from microwave and set aside until needed.
- For the Puffed Wild Rice, heat oil in a small saucepan to 180°C. Add wild rice and cook for 30 seconds until rice has burst open and puffed. Remove from oil and set aside on kitchen paper to drain until needed.
- To serve, place 1 ½ tablespoons of Caramelised Pear Purée onto each serving plate and spread out into a circular shape with the back of a spoon. Top with a scoop of Olive Oil Ice Cream, some Whisky Baked Pear wedges, Pickled Fennel, Dehydrated Fennel Fronds, Puffed Wild Rice and Vietnamese mint powder. Garnish each plate with 1 teaspoon of crumbled goat’s cheese.
Watch Full Episodes