Pan-Fried Chicken with Capsicum Puree and Charred Corn
Samira turns a much-loved, classic fried chicken recipe into a gourmet delight with roasted capsicum puree and charred corn on the side.
Recipe by: Samira Damirova - Contestant
- Preheat oven to 200C. Preheat vegetable oil in a deep fryer to 180C.
- For the Roasted Capsicum Puree, coat the capsicums in oil, place on a baking tray and bake in oven for 45 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and cover with foil and set aside for 10 minutes.
- Peel and de-seed capsicums. Place flesh in a food processor, add caraway seeds and paprika and process until smooth. Season with salt and set aside until serving.
- For the Charred Corn, place a griddle pan on high heat. Place corn into a microwave safe bowl, with a little water. Cover and cook on high for 3 minutes. Remove from microwave and brush corn with oil and season with salt. Cook on griddle pan, turning, until golden and slightly charred, about 3-4 minutes. Remove from pan and trim kernels from cob and place in a small bowl. Set aside, until serving.
- For the Chicken Marylands, combine spices in a small bowl then coat chicken in spice mix.
- Place oil in a large oven proof frypan and set over medium high heat. Add chicken and cook until golden on all sides, about 6-7 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Brush the chicken with pomegranate molasses, sprinkle with dukkah and place in oven to bake for 20-25 minutes. Remove from oven.
- Place butter into a clean, large frypan and set over medium heat to melt. Add chicken Marylands and cook, basting chicken with melted butter, until chicken is crisp, golden and cooked through, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat, reserving pan juices, and set aside, keeping warm, until serving.
- For the Potato Crisps, place oil in a saucepan and set over high heat. Peel and thinly slice the potatoes. Working in batches, fry slices in hot oil until golden and crispy. Remove from oil and drain on paper towel. Sprinkle with dukkah and salt and set aside until serving.
- For the Crispy Parsley Leaves, carefully add parsley leaves to hot oil and cook for 30 seconds, then remove from oil and drain on kitchen paper. Season with salt and set aside until serving.
- To serve, place a spoonful of Capsicum Puree into the centre of each serving plate, top with Chicken Maryland, Potato Crisps, Crispy Parsley Leaves and a sprinkle of goat’s feta and dry mint. Scatter Charred Corn over plate and drizzle with reserved pan juices.
Watch Full Episodes