Passionfruit and Grapefruit
Recipe by: Harry Foster - Contestant
- Turn ice cream machine on to chill.
- For the Passionfruit Sorbet, combine condensed milk, sugar, pectin and 150ml of water in a small saucepan off the heat. Use a stick blender to incorporate pectin then place onto medium heat and bring to the boil. Once boiling, remove from the heat and whisk in passionfruit juice until fully combined. Set aside to cool, then transfer to the ice cream machine and churn according to manufacturers instructions until frozen. Once frozen, transfer to the freezer until required.
- For the Aperol Jelly, place gelatine into a bowl of iced water and set aside to bloom.
- Place Aperol and grapefruit juice into a small saucepan over medium heat and bring to the boil. Remove from heat, squeeze out gelatine to remove excess water and add to the saucepan. Stir until completely dissolved. Strain through a fine sieve and pour into a 20cm x 20cm metal tray lined with baking paper and place into the fridge to set.
- Meanwhile, for the Grapefruit Mallow, place gelatine into a bowl of iced water and set aside to bloom.
- Place sugar and 15ml of water in a small saucepan over medium heat and bring to 115C.
- Meanwhile, place egg whites into a stand mixer fitted with whisk attachment and whisk on low speed. When sugar syrup reaches 115C, increase mixer speed to medium until soft peaks form and continue heating syrup to 121C. When sugar syrup reaches 121C, dribble syrup into egg whites on inside of bowl and increase mixer speed to high until thick and glossy. Whisk in grapefruit zest. Squeeze out gelatine to remove excess water and add to meringue, whisking until completely dissolved. Transfer mixture to a piping bag fitted with a round tip and pipe 16 by 1.5cm diameter rounds onto a silicon mat and set aside in fridge.
- For the Sherbet, sift all ingredients into a bowl and mix well to combine. Set aside.
- For the Coconut Espuma, place gelatine into a bowl of iced water and set aside to bloom.
- Place coconut milk, cream, sugar and vanilla into a small saucepan and place on a medium heat. Bring to the boil, stirring until sugar has dissolved, then remove from heat. Squeeze out gelatine to remove excess water and whisk into the warm cream mixture until dissolved. Pour into an isi gun, charge twice, and then set isi gun aside in a warm water bath until serving.
- To serve, cut Aperol Jelly into 6cm discs and place one disc on each plate. Add 4 Grapefruit Mallows around the disc and spoon some Sherbet next to the Grapefruit Mallows. Add 2 segments of grapefruit and some nasturtium petals. Top the Aperol Jelly disc with a rocher of the Passionfruit Sorbet and syphon the Coconut Espuma on the side of the plate just before serving.
Watch Full Episodes