Recipe by: Gary Mehigan
Serves: Serves 8
- Preheat oven to 170C.
- To make pistachio cake, place butter, sugar, pistachio paste, marzipan and salt in the bowl of an electric mixer beat until smooth. Scrape down sides of bowl. Add eggs one at a time and beat well after each addition. Add pistachios and beat until combined. Reduce speed to low and add kirsch then semolina and mix well. Place mix into 8 silicon friend moulds, place in oven and bake until lightly golden, about 20-25 minutes. Remove from oven and cool for 5 mins in pans then turn onto wire rack to cool.
- For the mousse, beat cream until soft peaks form. Set aside in fridge.
- Place caster sugar and 30ml water in a small saucepan and set over high heat. Bring to a boil, brushing down sides of pan with a wet pastry brush . Cook until mixture reaches 123C. Meanwhile, whisk egg yolks in the bowl of an electric mixer until fluffy and white. Trickle sugar syrup down side of the bowl while whisking until incorporated. Set aside.
- Melt the white chocolate in a bowl over a saucepan of simmering water until it reaches 60C. Remove bowl from heat. Add ¼ whipped cream and fold to combine. Add egg yolk mixture and fold through gently to incorporate. Set aside.
- Place softened gelatine in a microwave safe bowl and heat in microwave for 10 seconds but do not over heat or boil. Add ¼ cup of white chocolate mixture and mix well. Add back into remaining white chocolate mixture along with remaining cream and fold through gently until incorporated. Set aside in the fridge.
- For the ice cream, place egg yolks and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat until light and fluffy. Set aside.
- Place cream and milk in a medium saucepan, set over medium heat and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and slowly pour into egg mixture, while whisking until incorporated. Return mixture to saucepan and heat over a low heat, stirring gently with a spatula until mixture thickens and coats spatula, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and strain through a fine sieve into a clean bowl. Add pistachios, pistachio paste and salt and whisk to combine. Allow to cool then pour into bowl of ice cream maker and churnaccording to machine’s instructions. Freeze until serving.
- For the Yuzu curd, place yuzu juice, castor sugar, egg yolks, egg and 75g butter in small saucepan and set on medium heat. Cook, stirring, until thickened. Remove mixture from heat and whisk until cool then add the remaining butter and whisk well. Set aside.
- To serve, place pistachio cake on plates with some white chocolate mousse, pistachio ice cream and yuzu curd. Add a dollop of sheep’s milk yoghurt and lavender flowers.
Watch Full Episodes