Plum Pie and Smoked Vanilla Ice Cream
Nicole's warm and indulgent Plum Pie is accompanied by a Smoked Vanilla Ice Cream.
Recipe by: Nicole Scott - Contestant
- Pre-chill an ice cream machine. Prepare an ice bath in a medium bowl. Preheat oven to 190C.
- For the Smoked Vanilla Ice Cream, place the cream, milk and vanilla beans and seeds into a small saucepan. Place over medium heat and bring to 85C. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Meanwhile, place the egg yolks and sugar into the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment and whisk until thick and pale. Gradually add the hot cream mixture to the bowl, whisking continuously, until combined.
- Return the mixture to the saucepan and place over a medium heat. Stir continuously with a silicone spatula until the mixture reaches 84C and thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Strain through a fine sieve into a medium bowl. Place over the ice bath and whisk the mixture until begins to cool.
- Cover the bowl with cling wrap, fill the bowl with smoke from a smoking gun. Reseal the cling film tightly and set aside to infuse with smoke for 10 minutes.
- Once the mixture is cold and mixture has infused with smoke, transfer to the ice cream machine and churn according to manufacturer’s instructions. Place ice cream to the freezer until required.
- For the Sweet Shortcrust Pastry, place the flour, butter, sugar, egg yolk, vanilla seeds and a pinch of salt, along with 2 tablespoons of iced water into the bowl of a food processor. pulse until mixture just comes together.
- Knead briefly to a soft dough then wrap in cling film. Place into the fridge to rest for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove from the fridge, unwrap and divide into 2 portions.
- Lightly flour a clean work surface. Roll out one portion to 36cm x 24cm and use to line the bases and sides of two x 16cm long oval pie dishes. Trim the top edge and place into the fridge.
- Roll out remaining portion to a thickness of 3mm then using a sharp knife, cut into 1cm wide strips. Set aside on a lined tray in the fridge.
- For the Plum Pie Filling, cut plums in half and discard the stones. Dice the flesh of six of the plums into 1.5cm cubes and coarsely grate the remaining two.
- Place the sugar into a small frypan and melt over medium heat until amber in colour. Add the grated plum to the caramel and mix well, then add the diced plums, vanilla seeds and butter, and cook for 2-3 minutes. Remove from the heat, transfer the filling to a tray and place into the freezer until cool.
- Spoon the cooled filling into the pastry cases and then using the pastry strips, create a lattice pattern over the filling. Press edges to seal and brush the lattice with the beaten egg to glaze.
- Place the pies onto a baking tray and bake until pastry is golden and cooked through, about 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and serve hot with the Smoked Vanilla Ice Cream on the side.
Watch Full Episodes