Pork Fillet with Roasted Fennel and Grapes
A delicious blend of flavours, this tender Pork Fillet is served with Fennel and Grapes
Recipe by: Blue Team
Preheat oven to 230C.
- For the Pork Belly, remove bones from pork belly and reserve for Pork Belly Glaze. Rub pork with fennel and aniseed and place in a medium roasting dish. Place in oven and cook for 30 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 180C and cook until pork is tender and skin is crisped, about 75-80 minutes. Remove from oven, transfer pork to a warm plate, cover loosely, and set aside, to rest, for 20-30 minutes. Reserve pan juices for serving.
- For the Roasted Fennel, heat a griddle pan over high heat. Cut fennel bulb into 4 wedges. Drizzle fennel with olive oil then place on hot griddle pan and grill on all sides, turning, until lightly charred, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer fennel to a roasting pan, and place in oven to cook until tender, about 40-45 minutes, covering with foil to prevent over browning, if necessary. Set aside, keeping warm, until serving.
- For the Pickled Green Grapes, place vinegar, grape juice, sugar, cinnamon and star anise in a small saucepan and place over medium heat. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and allow to simmer for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut grapes in half and place in a bowl. Pour hot pickling liquid over the grapes and allow to pickle for 20 minutes. Strain grapes, and set aside in fridge until serving. Reserve pickling liquid for Pork Belly Glaze.
- For the Pork Fillet, rub fillet with ground fennel and salt. Place grapeseed oil in an ovenproof frypan and set over medium high heat. When hot, add pork fillet and fry until golden brown all over, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer to oven and cook for about 10-15 minutes, until cooked to your liking. Remove from oven, transfer to a warm plate, cover and set aside to rest for 5 minutes or until serving.
- For the Pork Belly Glaze, place oil in a large frypan and set over medium high heat. Add carrots, fennel stem and shallots and sauté until golden, about 5 minutes. Add pork bones and cook, stirring, until the bottom of the pan starts to caramelize and bones are golden. Add ¼ cup of grape juice to deglaze pan, scraping the base of the pan. Add remaining grape juice and reserved pickling liquid and cook until liquid is reduced and thick. Strain into a small saucepan, return to heat and reduce further, until sticky, about 3-5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside, keeping warm, until serving.
- For the Roasted Grapes, place grapeseed oil in a frypan and set over high heat. Add grapes and cook until golden brown, about 1-2 minutes. Add vinegar and grape juice and continue to cook until grapes have softened, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside, keeping warm, until serving.
- To serve, slice Pork Belly into four slices, brush each slice with Pork Belly Glaze and place on serving plates. Slice Pork Fillet into four slices and add to plates. Add Roasted Fennel, Pickled Green Grapes and Roasted Grapes. Drizzle with pan juices and garnish with fennel fronds.
Watch Full Episodes