Potato Chips with Cep Salt, Poached Moreton Bay Bug Tails with Vinegared Sunrise Lime
Recipe by: Karlie Verkerk - Contestant
- Pre-heat a deep fryer to 180°C.
- For the Cep Salt, mix cep powder and salt together in a small bowl. Set aside until needed for seasoning Potato Chips.
- For the Potato Chips, slice potato on mandolin to 1mm thick. Soak potato slices in cold water remove excess starch, about 10 minutes. Drain and rinse well, then pat dry with paper towel.
- Deep fry in the pre-heated deep fryer until crisp, about 2 minutes. Drain the chips on paper towel, then season with Cep Salt and set aside until ready to serve.
- For the Sunrise Lime Purée, place vinegar and sugar in a small saucepan over low heat and bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally, until sugar dissolves. Once sugar has dissolved, remove from heat. Add the Sunrise limes and set aside to soak for 15 minutes.
- Once soaked, remove the limes from the pickling liquid, reserving the liquid. Transfer the limes to a food processor, along with 2 tablespoons of the pickling liquid. Add the salt and blitz to a chunky purée. Set aside in a small bowl until ready to serve.
- For the Moreton Bay Bugs, bring a large saucepan of water to the boil. Add the bugs and cook for 2 minutes. Remove from the water then refresh immediately by plunging the bugs into iced water. Once cool, remove heads and use scissors to cut down either side of the tail shell to remove the meat in one piece. Set the tail meat aside on a plate until needed.
- Heat the butter in a medium frying pan over medium heat. Add the bug tails and cook, basting with butter until opaque and just cooked through, about 1 – 2 minutes, depending on the size of the tails.
- Once cooked, remove the bug tails from the pan, season with salt to taste and allow to rest, keeping warm, for 3 minutes, before slicing each tail into 3 pieces.
- To serve, spoon 1 tablespoon of Sunrise Lime Purée onto the middle of each serving plate. Top with 6 pieces of Moreton Bay bug. Scatter 5-6 seasoned Potato Chips and a few dehydrated lime slices over each plate.
Watch Full Episodes