Prawn Cooked in Fennel Oil with Prawn Head Custard
Shui creates an incredible dish making Prawns with fennel served with a Prawn Custard.
Recipe by: Shui Ishizaka
- Heat oven to 80C.
- For the Chilli Scented Milk Skin, place milk and chilli in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and strain into a small flameproof roasting tray.
- Place roasting tray over low heat. Once a skin forms on the surface of the hot milk, loosen the edges with a small knife. Place a sheet of baking paper evenly over the surface of the milk so that the skin adheres to the baking paper. Lift the baking paper and place, skin side up, onto a wire rack sitting on a baking tray. Repeat the process until 4 skins are made, using more wire racks as required. Place in oven and dehydrate until the milk skins are dry and separating from the baking paper, about 45-60 minutes. Turn off oven, leave door slightly ajar, keeping skins in oven until serving.
- For the Confit Prawns, place fennel fronds, shallot and grapeseed oil in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Remove from heat and set aside to infuse for 40 minutes. Strain through a fine sieve into a clean, small saucepan and return to heat. Re-heat to 70C.
- Meanwhile, remove heads and shells from prawns and reserve for Prawn Custard. De-vein prawns and slice in half lengthways. Place prawn halves in the 70C fennel oil and keep over heat until oil returns to 70C. Remove from heat and allow prawns to cook in the hot oil until just translucent, about 3-4 minutes. Remove prawns from oil, season with salt and set aside until serving. Reserve fennel oil for Prawn Custard and Sautéed Mushrooms.
- For the Prawn Custard, place fennel oil in a medium saucepan and set over high heat. Add prawn heads and shells, and fennel halves, cut side down and cook until fennel is golden brown, about 5 minutes. Add 800ml water and parsley stalks, bring to a boil, reduce heat and allow to simmer until reduced by half, about 30 minutes. Strain stock through a fine sieve and place in fridge to cool.
- Season cooled stock with salt and measure out 360ml into a bowl. Place egg in a small bowl and lightly whisk. Add egg to the stock, while whisking, then pass through a sieve into 4 x 7cm diameter ramekins. Cover each ramekin tightly with cling film.
- Place ramekins in a bamboo steamer. Cover steamer and place over a saucepan of boiling water. Steam until just set, about 8-10 minutes Remove steamer from saucepan and set aside until serving.
- For the Caramelised Bacon Broth, place bacon in a large saucepan and cook until dark golden brown on both sides, about 10-12 minutes. Add 1L water and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Meanwhile, place grapeseed oil in a medium saucepan and set over medium heat. Add shallot and garlic and cook, stirring, until dark golden brown. Add the boiling water and bacon and allow to simmer, until reduced by half, about 30 minutes. Strain through a fine sieve. Season with salt and set aside, keeping warm, until serving.
- For the Sautéed Mushrooms, place fennel oil in a small frypan and set over medium heat. Add mushrooms and fry until lightly golden, about 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat, season with salt and set aside, keeping warm, until serving.
- For the Blanched Asparagus Tips, bring a small saucepan of water to a boil. Blanch asparagus tips for 10 seconds. Remove from water, season with salt and set aside until serving.
- To serve, arrange Confit Prawns in the centre of each serving plate. Add Blanched Asparagus Tips and Sautéed Mushrooms. Spoon out Prawn Custard and add to each plate. Garnish with Chilli Scented Milk Skins and serve with hot Caramelised Bacon Broth on the side.
Watch Full Episodes