Recipe by: Ben Macdonald - Contestant
Serves: Serves 4
- Preheat oven to 200C.
- Place 1 tablespoon oil in a saucepan and set over high heat. Add ½ cup roughly chopped green capsicum and any tomato trimmings and cook until brown. Add the pigeon bones and cook until brown. Add 200 ml water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and allow to simmer until darkened and reduced by half. Remove from heat, strain into a clean saucepan and set aside.
- Place 1 tablespoon butter in a small saucepan and set over medium heat. Once melted, add the remaining roughly chopped green capsicum and cook until softened. Add 300 ml cream, bring to a simmer and allow to simmer until reduced to about 250 ml, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and strain into a clean bowl. Add the eggs and whisk to combine. Pour into 4 x 6.5cm greased dariole moulds.
- Place filled dariole moulds in a steamer set over medium heat. Steam until just set, about 15-20 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Place a frypan over high heat. Add the eggplant slices and cook until golden on both sides and softened. Remove from heat, cover and allow to sit to steam for 20 minutes. Peel steamed eggplant slices and place flesh in a bowl. Add tomato juice and 1 tablespoon cream and stir to combine. Season and set aside.
- Place a frypan over medium high heat. Add 2 tablespoons oil then add pigeon and brown all over. Transfer to an oven until cooked (they should still be a little pink inside), about 10 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside to rest.
- To finish the sauce, place saucepan of sauce over medium heat. Add juices from pigeon roasting pan and stir to combine. Add remaining 2 tablespoons butter, and 2 tablespoons cream, finely diced green capsicum and tomato and stir to combine. Season.
- To serve, place a spoonful of eggplant puree on each plate. Unmould a custard into the middle of each plate. Carve both breasts from the pigeon, cut each breast into 3 and place around the custard. Pour the sauce over the pigeon.
Watch Full Episodes