Recipe by: Brent Owens - Contestant
Serves: Serves 4
- Preheat oven to 200C.
- Cut and trim rib eye, set aside beef and reserve bone and trimmings for sauce.
- Using a cleaver, cut bone into 2 cm chunks. Place a saucepan on high heat, add trimmings and bones and cook until browned. Add celery, 1 carrot and 1 beetroot, roughly chopped, and cook until soft. Add 2 cups water and bring to a boil. Allow to simmer until reduced. Remove from heat, strain and season and set aside.
- Peel 1 parsnip, cut into chunks and place in a roasting pan. Add 1 teaspoon olive oil, season and place in the oven to roast until tender, about 20-25 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Peel and cut 2 beetroot into 5 x 2 cm rectangles and place in a roasting pan. Add 1 teaspoon olive oil and 1 teaspoon coriander seeds. Season and place in the oven to roast until tender, about 20-25 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Peel and grate remaining carrot. Bring a saucepan of water to a boil, add grated carrot and cook until tender, about 2 minutes. Drain carrot and transfer to a food processor. Add roasted parsnip and 2 tablespoons olive oil and process to a smooth puree. Pass through a sieve, season and set aside.
- Peel and finely slice remaining beetroot. Line a wok with foil. Add 2 tablespoons salt, cinnamon stick, remaining teaspoon coriander seeds and fennel seeds. Place a bamboo steamer in the wok, cover wok and place over high heat. Once salt starts smoking, add beetroot slices to the bamboo steamer, cover and allow to smoke for 10 minutes. Remove from wok and set aside.
- Peel remaining parsnip and slice into long ribbons. Spread out on a baking tray, drizzle with oil and season. Place in the oven to bake until crisp, about 10 minutes.
- Place a griddle pan over high heat. Season beef with oil, salt and pepper. Place on the griddle and sear for 2 minutes. Turn and sear a further 30 seconds. Transfer to a tray and place in the oven to cook until medium-rare, about 6 minutes. Remove from oven, season and set aside to rest.
- To serve, slice steak into 2cm slices. Plate with puree, roasted beetroot and parsnip ribbons and drizzle with sauce.
Watch Full Episodes