Recipe by: Vikas Khanna
- Preheat oven to 200 C. Preheat sous vide machine to 52C.
- For the chicken, wrap the garlic cloves in foil and place in the oven to roast until tender, about 15 minutes.
- To roast the tomato for the sauce, cut the tomato into quarters and place in a bowl. Add garlic, coriander, and 1 tablespoon vegetable oil and toss to combine. Transfer to a baking tray and place in the oven to cook for 15 minutes.
- To make the Madras spice mix, place all ingredients in a small bowl and stir to combine. Set aside.
- To clarify the butter, place salted butter in a small saucepan and set over low heat to melt. Once melted and solids have risen to the top, skim off any foam with a spoon and then pour through a muslin lined sieve. Discard solids and set clarified butter aside.
- Remove skin from both chicken breasts in one piece and set aside. Remove one chicken breast from chicken. Butterfly the chicken breast and flatten to 1/3 cm thickness by placing between 2 sheets plastic wrap and tapping with a mallet. Set aside.
- Remove garlic and tomato from oven. Reduce oven temperature to 100C.
- Set tomato aside and place garlic in a small bowl. Add salt and lemon juice to garlic and press with the back of a spoon to make a paste.
- Remove top layer of plastic wrap from flattened chicken breast and evenly apply the paste to coat the chicken. Transfer the coated chicken to a plate.
- Set the charcoal over high heat and allow to become really hot, about 10 minutes. Transfer the hot charcoal to a small bowl. Add the half cinnamon stick, rose buds, tea, cardamom pods and 1 tablespoon of the clarified butter and immediately place on the plate next to the chicken. Cover with a cloche, making sure the charcoal bowl and chicken are sealed with the smoke inside. Set aside to smoke for 6 to 8 minutes.
- To make the chicken roulade stuffing, place 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in a fry pan and set over medium heat. Add the figs and half the reserved Madras Spice Mix and cook until dry, stirring continuously, about 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Transfer the smoked chicken to a board and evenly layer it with spinach leaves and the fig mixture. Roll the chicken into a roulade, wrap in reserved chicken skin and secure using twine. Tightly wrap the roulade in plastic wrap to secure shape and then place into a sous vide bag. Place into sous vide machine and cook for 40 minutes. Remove bag from water and set aside.
- To make the sauce, place the remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a fry pan and set over low heat. Add cumin seeds, onion and ginger and cook, stirring, until the onions caramelize, about 10 minutes. Add remaining Madras spice mix, tomato paste and the reserved, roasted tomatoes and continue to cook until the mixture comes together. Add the sugar and cream and mix well. Remove from heat, transfer to a thermomix and blend into a fine sauce. Pass the mixture through a fine sieve and set aside.
- Place the rinsed, drained rice and 270 ml water in a saucepan and set over high heat. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover, and allow to simmer gently until all water is absorbed, about 12 minutes. Turn the heat off and let it rest.
- Place the sea salt, white wine vinegar, orange blossom and ginger in a bowl and stir to combine. Strain over the rice and stir to combine. Remove 30 grams rice and set aside the remaining rice, with a wet chux placed on top to keep it moist.
- To make the rice papadum, roll the 30 grams of rice mixture into a ball with wet hands. Take 2 pieces of baking paper approximately 30cm long and oil generously. Place the rice ball in between pieces of baking paper. Beat the rice with a wooden rolling pin to break the rice grains. Roll the rice until the rice is really thin and clear. Carefully peel the top paper off and sprinkle with mustard seeds, place paper back on top and roll again to ensure mustard seeds stick. Transfer baking paper and rice to a baking tray and place in the 100C oven to bake until dry, about 20 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
- To make the coriander oil, blanche the coriander leaves in boiling water and immediately place them in ice bath. Strain and squeeze the water from the leaves and place them in a stick blender canister and process until pureed. Gradually add the olive oil, until it is all incorporated. Strain through a chux lined sieve, and set aside.
- To make the lemon rice, place the vegetable oil in a fry pan and set over medium heat. Add peanuts and cook until crunchy, about 3 minutes. Add the curry leaves and turmeric and cook for another 2-3 minutes. Add the lemon juice and the reserved, cooked rice and stir until the rice is well coated. Season, remove from heat and set aside.
- Place 2 tablespoons clarified butter in a fry pan and set over medium heat. Remove the chicken roulade from the sous vide bag and place in the frypan to cook until golden brown and cooked through. Remove from frypan and allow to rest.
- To serve, spread some sauce on a plate. Remove string from the chicken roulade, slice in half and then one half in half again. Place chicken slices on the sauce. Peel the rice papadum off baking paper and add to the plate. Toss pomegranate seeds in a little of the coriander oil and add to plate. Drizzle with coriander oil and garnish with micro coriander. Serve with lemon rice on the side.
Watch Full Episodes