Salted Caramel and Macadamia
Recipe by: Reynold Poernomo - Contestant
- Preheat oven to 165C and turn on ice cream machine to chill.
- To make the ice cream, place yolks and sugar in a bowl and whisk to combine. Heat cream and milk in a saucepan to a simmer. While whisking, slowly pour hot milk and cream over egg yolks until well combined. Return mixture to saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring continuously, until mixture thickens and coats the back of a spoon. Remove from heat, strain and cool down over an ice bath. Churn in an ice cream machine and set aside in the freezer.
- To make the crumble, process all ingredients together in a food processor until well combined. Roll out between baking paper, place on a baking tray and bake in the oven until golden, about 15 minutes. Remove from oven and use hands to crumble. Set aside.
- To make the meringue, place egg whites and sugar in a bowl and sit over a saucepan of simmering water. Whisk until sugar has dissolved and mixture is warm. Remove from heat and continue whisking until cool. Place into a piping bag and set aside.
- To make the caramel, place sugar in a saucepan and set over medium heat. Cook sugar, without stirring, until melted and caramelized. Add cream, butter and salt and whisk to combine. Remove from heat and set aside.
- To prepare the quandongs, place quandongs and sugar in a saucepan and set over medium heat. Cook until sticky, remove from heat and set aside.
- To serve, pipe dots of meringue around the plate and lightly colour with blowtorch. Scatter quandongs, crumble, macadamia shavings and crumble along the centre of the plate. Drizzle with salted caramel and finish with a scoop of ice cream.
Watch Full Episodes