Salted Chocolate Tart with Beetroot Sorbet
Recipe by: Mimi Baines - Contestant
- Preheat oven to 180C. Butter and flour 4 x 10.5cm (base measurement) loose-based, fluted tart tins. Pre chill ice cream machine as per manufacturer’s instructions.
- For the Salted Chocolate Tart, prepare the pastry by combining butter and icing sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Add the flour and mix until combined. Add egg and pinch salt and mix until mixture forms a ball. Remove dough from bowl and gently knead into a flat disc. Wrap in cling film and rest in fridge for 30 minutes.
- Once pastry is cold. Remove from fridge and roll out between 2 pieces of baking paper. Divide the dough into four and roll out between two sheets baking paper, to circles of approximately 15cm diameter. Press into tins, trim excess and blind bake for 10 minutes. Remove paper and weights, prick pastry bases lightly and return to oven for 7-8 minutes or until golden. Remove from oven and set aside to cool in the tins until needed
- For the ganache filling, place the cream and half the salt into a small saucepan over medium heat and warm the chocolate until hot but not boiling.
- Place the chocolates into a large, heat-proof bowl. When the cream is hot, pour over the chocolate and stir until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth and well combined. Season liberally with remaining sea salt flakes to taste. Cool the ganache to room temperature then pour into the cold tart tins. Transfer the filled tarts to the fridge for 5 minutes to set then set aside at room temperature until needed.
- For the Beetroot Sorbet, place beetroot juice, sugar, rosemary sprig and glucose into a large saucepan over medium to high heat. Stir to dissolve the sugar and glucose then remove from heat.
- Strain the mixture through a fine sieve, then add vinegar and morello cherry juice. Set the bowl over an ice bath to cool, stirring occasionally. When mixture is cool, transfer to an ice cream machine and churn according to manufacturer’s instructions, until firm. Once the sorbet is churned, transfer to an airtight container and place in the freezer until firm.
- For the Meringue, use a hand held electric mixer to whisk the egg whites and sugar together in a large bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water. Whisk until mixture is thick and glossy. Spoon into a piping bag and set aside in the fridge until needed to serve.
- For the Rosemary Salt, combine both ingredients into a small bowl. Use your fingers to blend together. Set aside in an airtight container until needed.
- To serve, place tarts onto serving plates. Pipe several dots of meringue around the plate and use a blow torch to colour. Sprinkle the tart and around the plate with rosemary salt and add a scoop of beetroot sorbet to the side of the tart. Scatter with edible flowers.
Watch Full Episodes