Sambal Prawn with Crispy Prawn Heads and Herb Salad
Sashi's sambal prawns is packed with flavours of fresh herbs with crispy prawn heads
Recipe by: Sashi Cheliah - Contestant
- For the Sambal Prawns, place shallots, ginger, garlic, chillies, coriander roots and lemongrass, along with 1 tablespoon of water, into a food processor and blend to a smooth paste.
- Heat a wok over medium heat. Add 2 tablespoons of the peanut oil and, when hot, add sambal paste. Cook until fragrant and the oil separates and rises to the top, about 20 minutes. Add a little water if the sambal gets too dry and stir frequently to prevent burning.
- Once sambal paste has split, add kaffir lime leaves, palm sugar and lime juice and cook for a further 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a separate frypan, add remaining 2 tablespoons of peanut oil and place over medium high heat. Add the prawns and fry until just cooked through, about 2 minutes on each side.
- Add the cooked prawns to the sambal paste, combine well and remove from the heat. Set aside until needed.
- For the Herb Salad, place herbs, peanuts and shallots into a medium bowl and toss to combine. Set aside until needed.
- Place remaining ingredients into a separate bowl, mix well to dissolve the palm sugar and set aside until needed.
- For the Crispy Prawn Heads, heat oil in a small saucepan over high heat to 190C.
- Drop a few of the prawn heads into the hot oil and fry in batches until golden and crispy, about 3 minutes. Remove the prawn heads from the oil and place on kitchen towel to drain. Season to taste with salt and set aside until ready to serve.
- To finish the Herb Salad, spoon 2 – 3 tablespoons of the chilli and garlic dressing over the herbs. Toss well to coat the salad with the dressing.
- To serve, place 2 Sambal Prawns onto each plate and top with a small handful of Herb Salad. Finish with 2 Crispy Prawn Heads on the side of each plate.
Watch Full Episodes