Recipe by: Rishi Desai - Contestant
Serves: Makes: 20
- To make the filling, combine coconut, palm sugar, cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg, peppercorns and milk in a saucepan set over low heat. Cook for about 5 minutes or until the palm sugar has melted, stirring often. Transfer mixture to a blender and blend to a coarse paste.
- Place 1 tablespoon of filling into the middle of a wrapper, and lightly brush edges with water. Using your fingers, gently bring the edges of the wrapper together, crimping at intervals to seal, forming dumplings with a flat base. Repeat with remaining filling and wrappers.
- In batches if necessary, place dumplings in a large steamer basket, sitting over a saucepan or wok barely filled with boiling water. Steam for 10 minutes or until wrappers are tender. Remove and set aside on a tray lined with baking paper.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan set over medium heat. Cook the base of the dumplings for about 1-2 minutes or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, to make the soy caramel, place brown sugar, cream and soy sauce in a saucepan over low heat. Bring to a simmer, and cook for about 10 minutes or until a thick caramel. Transfer caramel to a jug.
- To serve, place wontons on a plate and serve with soy sauce caramel.
Watch Full Episodes